Protein Drinks

Introduce yourself. Tell us about your training history, how long you've been vegan, share some of your goals and some of your interests.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Patrick
Rabbit

Protein Drinks

#1 Postby Patrick » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:56 am

Hello everyone. I'm new to the Forum. My name is Patrick and am currently living in Europe. Maybe someone could help me out with something: After training what type of protein drink do you weight lifters take? I normally took isolated, cold filtered Whey protein, but am curious if there is a good vegetarian substitute that one could possibly order from the United States. The Protein supplements in Germany are not very good, and are riddled with saccharin and aspartame.
Any help would be nice. Thanks.

Take Care--Patrick

Raw Ambition
Rabbit

#2 Postby Raw Ambition » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:45 am

Hi Patrick,

My name is William, and I do not take any sort of protein drink before or after my workout. I may very well be alone in the belief that it is a complete waste of time to consume these.

I used to be heavily into supplements ($200 - $300 per month) and to be completely honest, I noticed no difference in muscle growth, with or without extra protein consumption
Last edited by Raw Ambition on Mon May 01, 2006 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants

robert
Site Admin

#3 Postby robert » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:02 am

Welcome Patrick,

Great to see you here. Another member over in Germany :) You will have good company here since we have many members living there.

I've used a bunch of protein powders in the past, soy, rice, recenty pea protein, but I currently use Hemp protein from my protein drinks.

As many people on here know, I use Vega (www.myvega.com). Check it out if you like. As fas as I know, hemp is the most superior of all plant proteins. Spirulina might have an argument, but that would be about it. Hemp is pretty much as good as it gets for plant-based protein (and protein in general when you consider overall health and environmental factors) and is the most sustainably grown too.

Check it out and see if it works for you.

www.myvega.com

All the best, and welcome to the forum!

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

offense74
Elephant

#4 Postby offense74 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:16 pm

Welcome :D
This place sells vegan protein powders. I buy from them (pea protein) and they're good. S&H can be a little expensive if you don't live in the UK though but you can buy up to 20kg for the same S&H price.
The surest road to happiness is low expectations.

VeganGirl2006
Gorilla

#5 Postby VeganGirl2006 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:32 pm

Hi and welcome! :) I currently am using soy protein powder, but Robert makes a great mention about hemp protein, which I have never tried. It wouldn't hurt to try it.
Courtney

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, we'd all be vegetarians."
-Linda McCartney

willpeavy
Elephant

#6 Postby willpeavy » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:48 pm

Hey Patrick I usually eat some kind of combination of lentils, chick peas, peas, and kidney beans after working out. They are all good sources of protein
[url=http://willpeavy.net/:34olz5pn]willpeavy.net[/url:34olz5pn]

Patrick
Rabbit

Protein

#7 Postby Patrick » Mon May 01, 2006 2:44 am

Thanks for all your responses. Thsi is a terrific forum. Robert mentioned Hemp protein. Does anybody know what company and under what name a hemp protein is sold. I know of a very good nutrition store in Coral Springs, Florida. Tunies Nutrition tunies.com (has solid proces) but do not think they sell Hemp protein drinks. Check it out.

Take Care--Patrick

Crash
Elephant

#8 Postby Crash » Wed May 03, 2006 10:36 am

Welcome ! :D
Out of my mind...Back in five minutes.

No human can call themselves liberal or radical or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if they contribute in any way to the pain and suffering of other beings.

http://www.myspace.com/cjdcrash

exciton
Rabbit

#9 Postby exciton » Thu May 04, 2006 4:25 am

Welcome Patrick!

I'm not obsessive about protein powders, but I throw in a few soy/pea protein drinks during the day. Pea protein isolate has a strong natural off-flavour, and hence I tend to prefer the more neutral soy.

Cheers,
Niels

Return to “Introductions”