Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Wanting to make this work. Hello everyone!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:06 pm 
Rabbit

Im from East Texas and all of the people around hear I know are doing to Paleo diet and cross fit work outs. I enjoy cross fit but I know I don't feel good on cooked meat but having a hard time figuring how to get my cals from plant based foods. Either my hearing or misunderstanding from the 30 days of bananas forum that you should do 80/10/10 diet but some of those people dont look healthy in the pics. :( So I don't understand this forums view or approach to the breakdown of where you should get your cals from and how much. I bought the book and a few others but it can't come fast enough. :)

Please help...

Brad

Post subject: Re: Wanting to make this work. Hello everyone!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:45 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome Brad!

I'm moving to Texas in a few weeks! (Austin)

Great to have you here. I agree, things get confusing. You have Paleo people, vegan people, raw food people, etc. all trying to say what is best.

At the end of the day, I believe a plant-based whole food diet is best, whether it is made up of raw or cooked food. By default, it will likely be a big mix of lots of fresh raw fruits, some raw vegetables, some cooked vegetables, cooked grains, beans, raw nuts and seeds, cooked legumes, etc.

I would focus on plant-based whole foods, exercise you enjoy and see how you feel.

All the very best!

-Robert

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:42 am 
Rabbit

Hi! I too am a vegan cross fitter, and after fatiguing the first month in, I realized I needed to up my calories while providing my body efficient fuel to burn for the intense workouts. I agree with Robert, and upped my intake of kale-sautéed or steamed with anything/everything is great, plus lots of lentils, legumes (black bean burgers, make a ton and freeze them for quick re-heated dinners), quinoa, love homemade energy bars using hemp protein- frozen fruit-cacao or carob and some nuts/seeds. Great for pre-or post workout protein intake!

facebook.com/parttimevegan

Be. Your. Best. Self
#fuelgood

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:36 pm 
Rabbit

robert wrote:
Welcome Brad!

I'm moving to Texas in a few weeks! (Austin)

Great to have you here. I agree, things get confusing. You have Paleo people, vegan people, raw food people, etc. all trying to say what is best.

At the end of the day, I believe a plant-based whole food diet is best, whether it is made up of raw or cooked food. By default, it will likely be a big mix of lots of fresh raw fruits, some raw vegetables, some cooked vegetables, cooked grains, beans, raw nuts and seeds, cooked legumes, etc.

I would focus on plant-based whole foods, exercise you enjoy and see how you feel.

All the very best!

-Robert

My dad lives in Austin! Very nice place... Love to visit Austin for the rolling hills and travis lake is so nice... Austin is very big on eating good or a good portion of them do so and exercise with a lot of trail for bikes and dirt bikes which I like more.

Few questions.
1. What is the amount of cals I need to be consuming? If Im working out 5 times a week with cardio 4-5 of the days. I weight 215 but want to get down to 200.
2. What is legumes? Is that beans? Any receipts?
3. I feel better when I eat raw vegs and fruits vs cooked vegs or beaned food. Any reason why?

Thanks for the help and nice site,
Brad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:42 pm 
Rabbit

Jamessina wrote:
Hi! I too am a vegan cross fitter, and after fatiguing the first month in, I realized I needed to up my calories while providing my body efficient fuel to burn for the intense workouts. I agree with Robert, and upped my intake of kale-sautéed or steamed with anything/everything is great, plus lots of lentils, legumes (black bean burgers, make a ton and freeze them for quick re-heated dinners), quinoa, love homemade energy bars using hemp protein- frozen fruit-cacao or carob and some nuts/seeds. Great for pre-or post workout protein intake!

Thanks for reply...

Few questions if you don't mind.
1. How many cals you taking a day? You doing 3-2-1 ratio-Carbs/Protein, fat?
2. How you saute kale? (Im working on improving my kitchen skills. :) )
3. How you make black bean burgers?
4. Homemade energy bars with hemp?

Does all those nuts make weight come on at all? I know they are protein but they are high in fats too.

Thanks for your help fellow Veggy-Person :),
Brad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:58 pm 
Stegosaurus

Onlybrad wrote:
Im from East Texas and all of the people around hear I know are doing to Paleo diet and cross fit work outs. I enjoy cross fit but I know I don't feel good on cooked meat but having a hard time figuring how to get my cals from plant based foods. Either my hearing or misunderstanding from the 30 days of bananas forum that you should do 80/10/10 diet but some of those people dont look healthy in the pics. :( So I don't understand this forums view or approach to the breakdown of where you should get your cals from and how much. I bought the book and a few others but it can't come fast enough. :)

Please help...

Brad

Reliable vegan nutrition information based on science and presented by registered dietians in a SHORT format:

http://beforewisdom.com/blog/vegan-diets/

Save yourself from feeling like crap and wasting time. Ignore anything from paleotards, low carbers and raw foodists.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:02 pm 
Rabbit

beforewisdom wrote:
Onlybrad wrote:

Please help...

Brad

Reliable vegan nutrition information based on science and presented by registered dietians in a SHORT format:

http://beforewisdom.com/blog/vegan-diets/

Save yourself from feeling like crap and wasting time. Ignore anything from paleotards, low carbers and raw foodists.

Nice website but don't see a breakdown for protein, carb, fat ratios or cals needed for a day if trying to lose weight???

Any advise?

Brad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:47 pm 
Gorilla

Hi Brad! I'm new to the forum as well and just wanted to welcome you!

Best wishes to you on your journey to vegan health and fitness! I know how confusing and frustrating it can be to always be seeing and hearing conflicting information. Seems like the whole world is like that! I'm trying to figure it all out as well. I've been vegan for a while, but still working to refine my diet (cutting back on added oils, etc.). I think Robert's advice above is the best to follow!

Happy New Year!
-Karen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:31 pm 
Rabbit

kofox wrote:
Hi Brad! I'm new to the forum as well and just wanted to welcome you!

Best wishes to you on your journey to vegan health and fitness! I know how confusing and frustrating it can be to always be seeing and hearing conflicting information. Seems like the whole world is like that! I'm trying to figure it all out as well. I've been vegan for a while, but still working to refine my diet (cutting back on added oils, etc.). I think Robert's advice above is the best to follow!

Happy New Year!
-Karen

Thanks very much... :boxer: Im very happy so far with what I have put together since my discover of this stuff since last week. :) Can't wait to see the results of my improved plan of action... Went back to the 3 square meals a day instead of the 5-6 after I read and found out that there is no data supporting the 5-6 meals as a better way. Actually the opposite is true... PM me if you want a link. I don't know if I can share on here without getting in trouble?!?!

Bless You,
Brad