New to this lifestyle

Slizzle

Hi All

I'm a 26/m/Nova Scotia Canada, I'm 180lbs and approx 13-15%bf. I've lifted on and off for about 8 years and I train MMA, in April I decided to take up a vegetarian lifestyle in order to be healthier and have more stamina in mixed martial arts. I noticed great differences in my stamina, sleep patterns and completely eliminated acid indigestion.

I'm not vegan and I know the title is vegan body building but I hope I am permitted to stay and learn and maybe one day become full vegan.

Right now I do not consume any meat, sometimes fish with sushi(once a month), no dairy but free range eggs from a local farm where I can see how the chickens are raises and treated.

I wish to lower my body fat percent while maintaing muscle mass, I am having a hard time constructing a diet as it seems the only logical way is High Fats, Medium Protein, Low carbs. But I've never heard of a high fat dieting yeilding great results but it seems a lot of Vegan/Vegetarian food is high in fats.

Hopefully I can figure everything out by using this site and your knowledge,

Thanks

Hi Slizzle- I've been vegetarian for a while and vegan only recently but I am sure you're welcome as a veggie either way- that's why I decided to be vegan- from sites like this.

I'm not really knowledgeable about men's fitness but I do know that Brendan Brazier has some great information in his book Thrive (he's a vegan athlete) and I think that Robert Cheeke has a vegan bodybuilding book. I learned about real nutrition from Brendan and only recently learned about Robert. I would read as much as you can on it- plus this site is an incredible resource!

Hey Slizzle, Welcome to the VBB forum! That's great to hear about your improved health since going veg! And I think it's really admirable that you only buy the eggs you eat from a local farm where you can actually see the chickens. Good for you for being a conscientious consumer.

I have no doubt that if you take time to really look around this website and forum, you'll find so much useful information. There are some pretty big guys here with lots of bodybuilding experience, so check out what they're up to. And, yes, check out Brendan Brazier's books ("Thrive") and Robert Cheeke's book.

Good luck on your journey!

All the best,

Karen