Hi from NH!

Introduce yourself. Tell us about your training history, how long you've been vegan, share some of your goals and some of your interests.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

plc3
Rabbit

Hi from NH!

#1 Postby plc3 » Tue May 09, 2006 11:59 am

Hi All,

My name is Pam. I have been vegan for 7 years. I have dabbled with weight training for about 5 years, in varying degrees. Lately, I have been very dedicated, although I can not claim to be a "body builder"

I first learned of veganism in college, and was sooo turned off by it!!! My room mate was a vegan, and let's just say she did nothing to persuade me. Years later, walking through my work place, I came across the Why Vegan? pamphlet that someone had posted on a bulletin board. That was it - I was converted.

I started weight training in an attempt to lose weight. Before becoming vegan, I lost 30 pounds with Weight Watchers. Since then, I have gained it all back, plus a few more... :( But, although I am heavier, I am smaller, so I guess the weight training works. I have tried all sorts of diets that basically boil down to calorie reduction. My last attempt was the McDougal diet .

Anyway - that's as much as I want to bore you right now. I am looking to lose weight and hope to use this board for inspiration. I know that the key to weight loss is using more calories than you consume, I just need help with staying on track.

Oh - and I do have a fitness goal - to be able to do an unassisted pull-up - any tips?

robert
Site Admin

#2 Postby robert » Tue May 09, 2006 12:32 pm

Welcome Pam!

Great to have you here. Awesome that you are vegan and really into to weight training. That is the case for many of us here :)

My father is quoted in the Why Vegan pamphlets 3 times :) Those are pretty cool brochures, I send them out in the mail quite often.

I'm glad you found us and I look forward to getting to know you more. Enjoy the forum and start exploring!

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

loveliberate
Elephant

#3 Postby loveliberate » Tue May 09, 2006 12:35 pm

Hello & Welcome! :D

CrispyQ
Gorilla

#4 Postby CrispyQ » Tue May 09, 2006 2:11 pm

Welcome Pam! There are a few of us who want to drop a few pounds. :wink:

I've found calorie reduction without cutting out my favorite foods is the best diet for me. Otherwise I start to feel deprived & then fall off the wagon hard! I also allow myself one treat day a week -- usually Friday. I frequently buy what my husband has come to call the "comfort doughnut." Friday morning I walk to the store, get a couple pieces of fruit, a small bit of granola, SILK yogurt & a doughnut. For the past 6 weeks, the doughnut is still sitting on the counter come Sunday. It's old, stale & dried out, but it helped me to know it was there if I wanted it. :roll: Silly I know, but little things like that can really help you mentally.

You'll find lots of inspiration here. If I don't feel like working out, I log on, visit this site & before you know it, I'm up off my butt doing something.

8)
Slavery is the fiction that people are objects; corporate personhood is the fiction that corporations are people. www.http://reclaimdemocracy.org/personhood/

Crash
Elephant

#5 Postby Crash » Tue May 09, 2006 2:59 pm

Welcome ! :D
Out of my mind...Back in five minutes.

No human can call themselves liberal or radical or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if they contribute in any way to the pain and suffering of other beings.

http://www.myspace.com/cjdcrash

plc3
Rabbit

#6 Postby plc3 » Tue May 09, 2006 3:29 pm

Thanks to everyone for the welcome!

To Robert -
My father is quoted in the Why Vegan pamphlets 3 times

That is pretty interesting. I would have to assume he is a vegan as well...? (I know I would probably find that out by visiting your webpages :) ) I don't personally know any other vegans, and, although my family is supportive of my choice, they don't really understand the why, how, and most importantly WHAT I eat, so I am thinking that your perspective of life as a vegan, coming from a supportive family, is very different than mine. I'll have to check out your pages!

To CrispyQ -

Where do you find vegan donuts? Realize that if you answer, I have no hopes of ever losing weight!! JK.... Just the other day I told someone that the one thing that I really missed were donuts.

On a serious note, for me, whatever diet I am following, if it works, I don't have a problem following it. It is when I hit the plateau, usually after losing about 10 pounds, that I have a hard time. So somehow, I have to figure out (mentally) how to get through then over the plateau.

finbarrio
Elephant

#7 Postby finbarrio » Tue May 09, 2006 6:41 pm

Welcome Pam!
Nice to have another New Englander.

For pull-ups - look in the training areas and you'll quickly find some masters who can help.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix

SeaSiren
Elephant

#8 Postby SeaSiren » Tue May 09, 2006 6:42 pm

Welcome! :)

flanders77
Elephant

#9 Postby flanders77 » Wed May 10, 2006 2:50 am

Welcome aboard! You will be inspired for sure!
and concerning your fitness-goal: Pull-ups are a question of the mind and not only strength and body-weight. You have to believe it, then you can do it. I personally know guys who do more-than-bw for lats and cannot do one single pull-up!
Bigbwii wrote:The force is strong on the fruity side.....

http://www.david-schulz.com
Life Science
Got Milk?

exciton
Rabbit

#10 Postby exciton » Sun May 14, 2006 12:16 pm

Hi Pam, and welcome!

VeganGirl2006
Gorilla

#11 Postby VeganGirl2006 » Mon May 15, 2006 5:28 pm

Hi and welcome to the board Pam! :)
Courtney