Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New vegan
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:41 pm 
Finch

Hello everyone. As the subject line indicates, I'm a new vegan (as of 2012) and am in search of some advice. I'm a calculated individual and it's been challenging to plan and create meals for the week that meet my desired nutritional needs, if they're even that important anymore..... I'm a 5'11" male around 156 that has always had trouble keeping on the weight, even prior to becoming vegan. I would like to get back to 170. I lift 3 - 4 days a week, just started doing Crossfit another 3 days a week, and am highly involved in several martial arts another 3 - 4 nights a week. I'm highly active and have always consumed the appropriate calories to attain my 170 goal based on my activity levels. Now that I'm a vegan my diet is even more restricted than it was before and I'm running out of ideas for things to eat, and it's been particularly challenging to get my desired calories, carbs, protein, and fat ratios to balance out. To make up for the shortfall in protein I've been eating more nuts, which spikes the fat. I've also been supplementing with hemp protein powder, soy milk, vitamins, and nutritional yeast to get more protein. I would like to keep things as natural and unprocessed as possible, possibly even raw........ Is protein even really a concern as we're (body builders) lead to believe? I'm struggling here. I need more variety in my diet.

Post subject: Re: New vegan
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:49 pm 
Rabbit

Id suggest trying out making green smoothies at breakfast - a great way to start the day and get in a lot of nutrition. I make huge smoothies that are generally 1,000 calories worth(from fruit) and as much greens as I can fit in the blender(kale, collards, spinach, etc). :)

Post subject: Re: New vegan
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:08 pm 
VBB Moderator

Maybe try checking out the recipe section on this forum or also take a look at the fitness journals that people have been keeping on here as well for new ideas for meals. Or just google vegan recipes. Sometimes a new way of cooking something really makes a difference, a new spice or sauce. I have eaten a lot of things in the last couple of years that most people have never tried. There are lots of good edible vegan things out there in this world of ours. Keep searching, start here on this site.

-Dylan