I could use a hand

Introduce yourself. Tell us about your training history, how long you've been vegan, share some of your goals and some of your interests.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

bcmedic
Finch

I could use a hand

#1 Postby bcmedic » Sun May 06, 2012 10:00 pm

Hey everyone. I am not eating enough and I am experiencing muscle loss and fat stores.

I am trying to eat 2,700 calories per day. I am on a budget and can't afford a lot of pre-packaged bars and supplements.
I'd really appreciate help with my eating plan.

I prefer eating raw.. I am a bit of a weirdo. I like to eat standing (or walking is even better) and I like quick delicious things so I am a fruit addict.

Anyone have some ideas for me?

stcalico
Manatee

Re: I could use a hand

#2 Postby stcalico » Sun May 06, 2012 11:45 pm

nuts, granola, and dried fruit pack well, are nutrient dense, and are not necessarily expensive.
If it's important to you, you'll find a way. If it isn't, you'll find an excuse.

xdarthveganx
Elephant

#3 Postby xdarthveganx » Mon May 07, 2012 12:16 am

it's going to be quite hard to gain weight eating raw, not impossible but certainly more difficult.
https://www.facebook.com/xdarthveganx
I am in the process of trying to lose 60lbs of fat while gaining lean muscle by December 2012
My fitness/transformation log can be found here

C.O.
VBB Moderator

#4 Postby C.O. » Mon May 07, 2012 9:44 am

Coconut, avocado, bulk bins for nuts and seeds.
:)

My broke weight gain diet in the past was definitely not raw but if you aren't strict on that: Oat meal, Yams, carrots, bananas (are some of the cheapest healthy foods), bulk bins nuts and seeds, some of the nut mixes in the bulk bins have dried fruit in them thats a good inexpensive choice.
Get online and search for coupons and freebees there are a lot out there. Twitter is good too. You can request samples and often companies are giving away free samples too. I'm talking about getting supplements and such.

-Dylan

bcmedic
Finch

#5 Postby bcmedic » Mon May 07, 2012 6:08 pm

Bueno! Thanks for the tips. I've never chewed so much in my life I can tell you that much!

Baby Hercules
Elephant

#6 Postby Baby Hercules » Mon May 07, 2012 7:20 pm

Sprouted lentils have a lot of protein, chew quickly, and taste great with a few spices tossed in. Just put about an inch of dry green lentils at the bottom of a clean glass jar and fill it with water. Soak it, uncovered, overnight in a cool spot and then drain off the water. Add a half teaspoon of water a day and shake the sprouting lentils around twice a day for two days to keep them evenly moist and expose them all equally to the air. When they get the little white sprout "tails" on them, they're ready to eat. I toss a dash of salt and rolled red pepper flakes in mine to zing 'em up (sometimes with a teaspoon of good oil) but you can add curry, tumeric, onion salt, etc. to get them to taste like Indian food. I eat the whole jar as a quick meal sometimes--raw "fast" food!

You can do the same thing with garbanzo beans but they take about three days to soften. Either legume is a very inexpensive source of raw food protein and fiber.

Baby Herc
Power [][][][][][][][][][]
Speed [][]
Stamina [][][][][][]
Smarts [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

C.O.
VBB Moderator

#7 Postby C.O. » Tue May 08, 2012 6:07 pm

How about quinoa? Can you just soak it instead of cooking it as well? Some places you can find it in the bulk bins at affordable prices as well.

midnight112x
Rabbit

#8 Postby midnight112x » Thu May 10, 2012 8:31 pm

Nuts!

Baby Hercules
Elephant

#9 Postby Baby Hercules » Fri May 11, 2012 1:15 am

C.O. wrote:How about quinoa? Can you just soak it instead of cooking it as well? Some places you can find it in the bulk bins at affordable prices as well.

You can soak it but it tastes pretty raw. Has a weird, sharp, chemical aftertaste that only a whole lot of onions and spices can quell. Then again, quinoa cooked in coconut milk, with a sprinkling of chopped almonds and a drizzle of honey is freakin' amazing!

Baby Herc
Power [][][][][][][][][][]
Speed [][]
Stamina [][][][][][]
Smarts [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

xdarthveganx
Elephant

#10 Postby xdarthveganx » Fri May 11, 2012 3:00 am

honey? really?
I am in the process of trying to lose 60lbs of fat while gaining lean muscle by December 2012

C.O.
VBB Moderator

#11 Postby C.O. » Tue May 15, 2012 5:58 pm

haha that was my reaction, honey! I find it really interesting the different things that people eat and don't eat and the different reasons for doing so or not. I love this website and how diverse the forum members are on here for that reason.

-Dylan

xdarthveganx
Elephant

#12 Postby xdarthveganx » Tue May 15, 2012 8:52 pm

It's cool, I know everyone on here isn't vegan or are trying to transition. But people who say they are vegan really shouldn't eat honey.

z0rzz
Rabbit

#13 Postby z0rzz » Tue May 15, 2012 9:08 pm

I'm not sure if it fits the budget or if you're okay with soy, but I devour raw tempeh like a demon. My friends constantly see me walking to class chewing on a stick of the stuff when I'm on the go. About 20g of protein per 200 calories, a little bit heavier and more fattening than seitan but definitely nothing ridiculous in my opinion.

C.O.
VBB Moderator

#14 Postby C.O. » Sun May 27, 2012 8:15 pm

Many companies now make an agave nectar honey alternative. Trader Joe's carries one for cheap. I love honey. I worry about the bees though. I'm always keeping an eye out for new options and keeping my eyes and mind as open as possible.

-Dylan

robert
Site Admin

#15 Postby robert » Tue May 29, 2012 11:01 am

Welcome!

How are things going?

Find some good ideas to apply and put into action?

Hope all is well. All the best!

-Robert

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Return to “Introductions”