Hello from Toronto, ON (Canada)

phantomfire

Hey everyone!

I'm a mid 30s guy who recently went vegan with no looking back which really insulted my cattle-raising/ farmer type family. I am currently the perfect example of the traditional North American diet of what not to eat. I recently (May) had some health problems where my liver was starting to shutdown thanks to fast food and other things. Which brings me to this point in my life. I have been trying to go as much vegan as possible but this was the big kick I needed.

I started by going raw vegan with juicing overnight which lasted about 2 days because I couldn't keep up with all the prep and dehydrating so much, and one can only have so many salads/ juice and planning isn't my strongest suit. So I became a regular vegan with a good mix of raw still.

I never was one for exercise and proper diet as a teen or young adult which carried on into my current state. I ballooned to 230 lbs and at 6' tall, you can imagine. I'm now back at the gym, keeping up with light weights and limited cardio until my doctors say it's ok for me to go full-throttle.

I decided to joing to surround myself with people like me. Most of my friends are meat eaters and telling them of the dangers falls on deaf ears but I always make them eat Vegan when we go out. It's very inspiring to see so many people who went vegan so young. I wish someone told me when I was younger about the dangers of the "North American Diet". I might be in a different situtation than I am now. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums!

Hello PhantomFire, if that is your real name? haha Welcome to the group. Just met a vegan from Toronto a few days ago actually. She was a bartender here in New York and she said my friend and I sounded Canadian and guessed we were from Vancouver BC. She was closeish I guess same coast, we are from Portland Oregon. I didn't think we had an accent though.

Yes, us North Americans tend to eat pretty horribly. Great to hear that you are making some huge positive changes.

-Dylan