hello everyone

chelee70

Hi everyone, my name is Cheryl and I a fairly new to the web site. I have a profile on the front page on the website if any one what to check it out. I live in Rhode Island where it is quite hot here today and in the 80's. I love this state and pretty soon the fall season will be here which is my favorite where all the leaves on the trees will start to turn! I will be 42 in a few weeks and I have been a vegan now for 2 years now and a vegetarian for 3. I am a runner and have completed tons of 5k's, and a bunch of half but, I have yet to complete that all mighty of the races, the big 26.2. I want to do it just for the t-shirt that they give out lol. I also lift weight, do yoga, kick boxing, ride my bike and all kinds of activities that keep me busy and moving. I have two grown children one who just recently got engaged. That is pretty scary for sure! So, around here I am the minority when it comes to being vegan. Not to many of us in these parts unless I go to the city. There are a couple of vegan meet up groups that get together but, they conflict with my job. There are a few really great vegan restaurants that I like to go to every once in a while and my favorite store has to be Whole Foods. I love to learn about the foods and cuisines that are out there. I make most of my food from scratch and most of it is raw. It is definitely a challenge especially in my family where not one person is into fitness or being vegan. So it makes for a bigger challenge on holidays but, I have learned to cope with it and I am very proud of my lifestyle and I work very hard to be where I am at. I recently finished my bachelors degree in health & wellness and finished my personal trainer certs. Next on my list is to get my certificate in plant based nutrition through Cornell University. I am always reading all the time mostly books on the food industry. I just complete White Wash, that was a great read and a real eye opener. I am not reading "The world According to Monsanto". I hope I get to know some of you on this web site!

Hi Cheryl, welcome to the forum. I saw your profile, good stuff . Robert was just in RI like last week for a wedding. Have you met him personally yet? If you are ever down in NY come say hi. There are lots of vegan meet ups down here.

-Dylan

Hi Dylan,

Thanks for the reply. I have not met him yet but, would love to next time he is in town. I love NY very much. I try to visit every so often. I am always looking for new friends and other vegans to meet. What sort of meet ups do you do in NY? There must be some great restaurants that are vegan there. There are a few here in RI there are lots of them in Boston which is another great place to visit!

Cheryl

• 2 weeks later...

Oh the meet ups are normally at a bar and they either serve vegan food there or else outside vegan vendors come in for the event. Its a social gathering for fun but also they always take a few minutes on the mic for each non-profit group that is there to represent themselves and talk about their cause or upcoming events. And yes NYC and Boston both have some great places to eat.

-Dylan

Welcome Cheryl!

I really like the part of the country you're living in. I spent the summer in New England. I had an outstanding time there.

Great to have you featured on our website too.

Some situations can be challenging, especially when you're not surrounded by people who are involved in veganism or fitness and at times you can feel like you're climbing uphill all alone. But know that there are many more people all around the world becoming interested in this lifestyle and perhaps your family members will catch on soon too. Maybe they'll be inspired by a role model who goes vegan or gets into athletics, and surely your influence will create some sort of impact sooner or later.

Have a fun time with the Cornell course. I took it in the spring and absolutely loved it!

All the very best and welcome to our team!

-Robert