Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: hello from tinseltown
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:05 pm 
Rabbit

hi, i'm g. charles. i became a vegetarian only 7 months ago, although my lifestyle and diet has been very veg-friendly for nearly 20 years. my reason for changing has been health motivated. i never thought i'd feel this "alive" as a vegetarian, but now i'm spreading the word! i am also seeing the benefits of going vegan, and it really makes sense. eggs and whey protein are the vices that i would need to replace.

i'm an avid runner and a former martial artist (kung fu san soo). recently i blew out my right elbow, and that's keeping me from push-ups/pull-ups for the time being.

i am also gay, which i mention only because my family seems to have no issue with that at all, but they are very unaccepting of my vegetarianism. : ) family holiday meals are always "interesting."

when will baseball stadiums start selling veggie dogs? i'm talking to you, dodgers.

i am a tv/film casting director who lives near hollywood, ca.
www.myspace.com/gcwright

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:16 pm 
Elephant

Welcome! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:36 pm 
Stegosaurus

Welcome! :D

Here is another good reason to go vegan besides health:

www.meetyourmeat.com

Post subject: meet your meat
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:37 pm 
Rabbit

hi and thanks for that link. commercial industry slaughterhouses were a definite factor in my decision making. all anyone has to do is look to OUR overall health as a nation to see that what big business does to the animals they raise and slaughter is killing those of us who consume them at the table. from bird flu to mad cow with a stop over at mercury dosed seafood, it's amazing anyone is eating animal anymore. even if a person lacks compassion for the animals themselves, you'd think self preservation would kick in!

Post subject: welcome
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:46 pm 
Rabbit

Hi WELCOME, yes aren't the dinners with family interesting? Cheese was one of the hardest thing I had to give up. You'll do great, I can see from your mind set and maybe some of your family members will see how you have changed for the better. And accept your new eating lifestyle just as they have in your love lifestyle. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 3:36 pm 
Elephant

Hello & Welcome! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

Hey buddy, welcome to the group! You've been a big supporter of our site and I appreciate that.

Great to see you here :)

You'll have fun getting to know lots of people on the forum, we tend to be pretty cool :) ....at least that is what I've been told.

Have a great day! Welcome aboard!

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:02 am 
Gorilla

Welcome gcharles!

I have a gay veggie friend whose parents feel the same way! And ditto on the veggie dogs at the stadium!

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:36 am 
Elephant

Welcome ! :D

No human can call themselves liberal or radical or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if they contribute in any way to the pain and suffering of other beings.

http://www.myspace.com/cjdcrash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:17 am 
Elephant

Welcome! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:44 pm 
Gorilla

Hi and welcome! I can see that we're definitely going to get along. You have my favorite villain, Maleficent, in your avatar! AWESOME!

Glad to meet you! :)

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, we'd all be vegetarians."
-Linda McCartney

Post subject: well, i am a sleeping beauty
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:29 pm 
Rabbit

well, i am a sleeping beauty, so malificent seems appropriate :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:25 pm 
Rabbit

Hi GCharles,

Greater Los Angeles is THE best metropolitan area for vegetarian/vegan restaurants, hands down. Let me know if you need recommendations.

Also......, my wife and I are looking into Kung Fu.....what advice can you give me? I've discovered that the methodologies and philosophies of the schools (and the styles) vary wildly. Where did you train?

SAW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:27 am 
Rabbit

i trained in kung fu san soo. not many people teach it. i studied through the beverly hills park and recreation center (no longer offered i believe) and then later privately in l.a. and huntington beach.

san soo is basically a chinese street fighting method that uses your opponents force against himself. the goal is to disable your attacker in the fewest possible moves. i really enjoyed it, i do not practice any longer though. you and your wife might enjoy ta'i chi? that seems to me to be a good art for couples, and it's obviously very low impact : )

bottom line, i'd steer clear of kenpo karate classes (they cater mostly to children and rely heavily on a belt system, plus i find their fighting techniques to be too showy and not practical enough overall.) find a good kung fu school. visit a few in your area (the closer the class is to where you live, or work the more often you will probably go). meet instructors and check out the students before making any decisions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:33 am 
Elephant

Welcome aboard sleeping beauty!

http://www.david-schulz.com
Life Science
Got Milk?