21 year old wanting to go Vegan

jack5150

Hi there, I'm Jack from Sydney Australia.

A little about myself...

21, personal trainer, part time university student, musician.

Anyway, I've been training for roughly 2 years and have made some great gains. I track my macros, train hard, and am generally optimistic.

Just recently I decided that I'd like to try leading a Vegan lifestyle, beginning with diet. I've read and heard of the various benefits, and I'm now curious.

Any words of wisdom before I begin this journey?

I have no idea where to start. Some links/resources on the topic would be great.

I want to avoid soy (where possible), so it would be nice to hear about the non soy protein sources out there. Seitan etc...

hey man welcome!

There's some great links and articles on this very site, also Robert Cheekes book covers everything on nutrition, even soy free diet plans. But just out of curiosity why are you avoiding soy? there's a lot of misinformation out there putting people off of it when really it's just a bean, nothing sinister

ross

I don't want to avoid soy completely, but I'd rather not get the majority of my protein from a soy-derived source. I understand that there's a lot of myth and misinformation surrounding soy, I just don't want to take any risks I have a very sensitive endocrine system.

Hey Jack, welcome to the group,

I'm with you. I think soy is good and I eat it but I also think its important to eat a large variety of foods. I like hemp seeds and hemp and pea protein shakes. I like mushrooms and nuts and seed based foods as well. Sea plants like chlorella are great as well, tons of nutrients and some protein as well, not a ton but a good percentage.

-Dylan