Hello, I'm here now :-)

designjessie

Hey everyone! I'm Jessie, a 28-yr-old female who has been plant-based for a little over a year (I've had a few vegetarian meals within that time frame, but I find I feel better eating full-on plant-based).

I went plant-based for health reasons and to see what it could do for my workouts, but of course it came with the added benefit of being kinder to animals and the environment. I cut out red meat and pork back in my teens, and only continued to eat poultry and fish because I thought I "had to," even though I never liked it that much. So glad I don't have to gag that stuff down anymore!

The diet shift has brought about interesting revelations and experiences...my husband and I even lost a couple friends in part because they couldn't handle not harping on us about not eating animal products. Ridiculous, I know, but we found out they were ridiculous people anyway. My husband is a type 1 diabetic, and eating vegan has had a dramatically positive impact on how much insulin he takes.

Oh, and as far as the workouts are concerned, I have seen awesome increases in my endurance, strength, and recovery. I do workouts such as P90X, P90X2, Insanity, Asylum, and currently I'm doing Body Beast and love it! My only problem is I sometimes get carried away w/higher cal vegan foods these days (Annie's gluten free bunny cookies and vegan cupcakes are my major diet killers!), so I'm going to start a journal for more accountability and feedback. Gotta concentrate more on whole foods and cut the processed stuff out again. I'm looking into bikini competitions for some time in 2013!

So, that's about all I can think to write here. I'm off to go start a training journal!

Welcome Jessie!

Great to have you here. Thanks for the intro. Sounds like you've tried a whole bunch of different workout programs. I've heard of some of those and have tried a couple, but just a quick workout with a friend so I don't have a lot of experience with most of those programs.

I know what you mean about the high calorie, low-nutrient density foods that we often lean toward. The best way to avoid them is to fill up on plant-based whole foods so there isn't room for a lot of extra stuff.

Keeping a journal is a great way to become aware of patterns and gives us a chance to analyze what we're doing and make changes where necessary.

All the very best!

-Robert