Another Oregon boy saying hello!

Introduce yourself. Tell us about your training history, how long you've been vegan, share some of your goals and some of your interests.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Message
Author
User avatar
oregonisaac
Manatee
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:11 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Another Oregon boy saying hello!

#1 Postby oregonisaac » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:26 pm

My name is Isaac. I grew up in Corvallis, Oregon and ran in the same circles as Robert (the story is that I got my friend Jordan into weight lifting and he got Robert into weight lifting, so I figure he really owes it all to me, Jordan, and his sister, who got him into Veganism). I live just south of Portland now and as of this year have changed my eating habits from no red meat to no meat and almost no dairy (I still am eating yogurt, so I am not really a vegan!)

I was talking to Robert about vegan/vegitarian food, protein consumption, daily variety, etc... and he suggested I check out this site.

So far I have seen a bunch of great recipe ideas and some good talk about diet. I look forward to searching through the forums in more detail.[/i]

loveliberate
Elephant
Posts: 2733
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:55 pm
Location: Little Beirut, Cascadia

#2 Postby loveliberate » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:40 pm

Hello & Welcome Isaac! :D

Thanks for getting Robert going, via Jordan. Where are you at just south of Portland - Milwaukee? Tigard? Glad you made your way to the forums - we have lots of great info and folks here. Please jump right in!

User avatar
Odidnetne
Stegosaurus
Posts: 3899
Age: 31
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:05 pm
Location: Austin, TX

#3 Postby Odidnetne » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:51 pm

Welcome to the boards.

Yeah, I know how you felt, dairy of all groups of animal based foods was the worst for me to give up, but it wasn't even all that hard anyway (except when I was at a graduation party and saw chocolate chip cookies with the biggest chocolate chips I'd ever seen, but that's another story, I still avoided. :-D). There's plenty of good recipies, but some of the more simple ones are the best (ie: Fruit smoothies).

compassionategirl
Stegosaurus
Posts: 3110
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

#4 Postby compassionategirl » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:21 pm

Odidnetne wrote:Welcome to the boards.

Yeah, I know how you felt, dairy of all groups of animal based foods was the worst for me to give up, but it wasn't even all that hard anyway (except when I was at a graduation party and saw chocolate chip cookies with the biggest chocolate chips I'd ever seen, but that's another story, I still avoided. :-D). There's plenty of good recipies, but some of the more simple ones are the best (ie: Fruit smoothies).


Welcome isaac!
Odidnetne, perhaps this will satiate that desire (but its not raw though):

Image

Courteousy of jjaj, and recipe under vegan recipes (scroll down a bit).
People reviled today for their activism will be tomorrow's angels, and people respected today for their power will be tomorrow's demons. History will absolve us and condemn them. ~ Paul Watson

compassionategirl
Stegosaurus
Posts: 3110
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

#5 Postby compassionategirl » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:23 pm

isaac, the best yogurt is by Silk. It hands down beats the other vegan yogurts IMO, and I think this will help you kick that last bit of dairy. Try some. :D
People reviled today for their activism will be tomorrow's angels, and people respected today for their power will be tomorrow's demons. History will absolve us and condemn them. ~ Paul Watson

loveliberate
Elephant
Posts: 2733
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:55 pm
Location: Little Beirut, Cascadia

#6 Postby loveliberate » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:27 pm

compassionategirl wrote:isaac, the best yogurt is by Silk. It hands down beats the other vegan yogurts IMO, and I think this will help you kick that last bit of dairy. Try some. :D


My personal favorite soygurt is from Nancy's. They are from Eugene and can be found at most any natural foods store or co-op. Fred Meyer's may carry it too but I'm not sure...

compassionategirl
Stegosaurus
Posts: 3110
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

#7 Postby compassionategirl » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:31 pm

loveliberate wrote:
compassionategirl wrote:isaac, the best yogurt is by Silk. It hands down beats the other vegan yogurts IMO, and I think this will help you kick that last bit of dairy. Try some. :D


My personal favorite soygurt is from Nancy's. They are from Eugene and can be found at most any natural foods store or co-op. Fred Meyer's may carry it too but I'm not sure...

LL, do you think that nancy's is better than Silk? I am not sure that we even have that brand in toronto, so i dont think I could test your theory. :(
People reviled today for their activism will be tomorrow's angels, and people respected today for their power will be tomorrow's demons. History will absolve us and condemn them. ~ Paul Watson

loveliberate
Elephant
Posts: 2733
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:55 pm
Location: Little Beirut, Cascadia

#8 Postby loveliberate » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:38 pm

CG,
I'm glad that Silk is available so widely but I do like the Nancy's better for the taste, quality ingredients, the fact that they are Cascadia based and not so corporate, etc. Remind me and I'll buy you some when you come out in August! :D Here's a link for Nancy's soy stuff: http://www.nancysyogurt.com/nancys_products/soy.php

User avatar
endcruelty
Elephant
Posts: 1009
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:42 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

#9 Postby endcruelty » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:43 pm

havent seen nancys in any store around here .... soy milk has so many ingredients that technically i doubt its even healthy for us :( but i need my cereal so i'll keep drinking the stuff :D

btw those c00kies l00k to die for...... *dr00ls* :D

compassionategirl
Stegosaurus
Posts: 3110
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

#10 Postby compassionategirl » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:48 pm

endcruelty wrote:soy milk has so many ingredients that technically i doubt its even healthy for us :( but i need my cereal so i'll keep drinking the stuff :D



I disagree, and i certainly dont think that dairy is any healthier than soy.

But nevertheless, fortunately there are other options like almond milk, etc.
People reviled today for their activism will be tomorrow's angels, and people respected today for their power will be tomorrow's demons. History will absolve us and condemn them. ~ Paul Watson

User avatar
Odidnetne
Stegosaurus
Posts: 3899
Age: 31
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:05 pm
Location: Austin, TX

#11 Postby Odidnetne » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:12 am

compassionategirl wrote:
Odidnetne wrote:Welcome to the boards.

Yeah, I know how you felt, dairy of all groups of animal based foods was the worst for me to give up, but it wasn't even all that hard anyway (except when I was at a graduation party and saw chocolate chip cookies with the biggest chocolate chips I'd ever seen, but that's another story, I still avoided. :-D). There's plenty of good recipies, but some of the more simple ones are the best (ie: Fruit smoothies).


Welcome isaac!
Odidnetne, perhaps this will satiate that desire (but its not raw though):

Image

Courteousy of jjaj, and recipe under vegan recipes (scroll down a bit).


Thanks, but I really don't have the desire for chocolate anymore, it was just that day, I could smell the chocolate, that's what was killing me.

User avatar
robert
Site Admin
Posts: 21053
Age: 36
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:05 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

#12 Postby robert » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:12 am

Welcome Isaac!

Yes, in a round-about way, I do owe a lot of my success to you! Glad to have you here. Jordan and my sister (two other major influences on my lifestyle) are both on this forum, but rarely write anything.

Awesome to have you here and since you're in the Portland area, you can join us for our vegan vacation. It's not limited to just vegans, we're there to help positively influence non-vegans and show all the awesome healthy vegan foods out there. So please join us!

Thanks again for joining our forum here and it was great to see you a few weeks back.

Can't jack these dees.....thee ya!

-Cheeke

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

loveliberate
Elephant
Posts: 2733
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:55 pm
Location: Little Beirut, Cascadia

#13 Postby loveliberate » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:24 am

robert wrote: Can't jack these dees.....thee ya!


:shock: Huh?!? Must be a Corvallis thang... :wink:

User avatar
robert
Site Admin
Posts: 21053
Age: 36
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:05 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

#14 Postby robert » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:27 am

It's a Jordan thing (you recall Jordan from the movie, right?) I refer to him multiple times as the key behind my interest in bodybuilding and an ingredient to my overall success. He's also in my music montage when I introduce him. He was also at the vegan potluck and is listed in the credits as "Classic Man"

Blast if I have to....don't make me have to :P

....sorry, another Jordan thing. Jordan, Isaac, and I go way back.


Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

User avatar
CrispyQ
Gorilla
Posts: 774
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:26 am
Location: Boulder, Colorado

#15 Postby CrispyQ » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:23 am

Welcome Isaac!

Have you tried soy yoghurt? Silk's vanilla is pretty good.

8)
Slavery is the fiction that people are objects; corporate personhood is the fiction that corporations are people. www.http://reclaimdemocracy.org/personhood/


Return to “Introductions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests