Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Another Oregon boy saying hello!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:26 pm 
Manatee

My name is Isaac. I grew up in Corvallis, Oregon and ran in the same circles as Robert (the story is that I got my friend Jordan into weight lifting and he got Robert into weight lifting, so I figure he really owes it all to me, Jordan, and his sister, who got him into Veganism). I live just south of Portland now and as of this year have changed my eating habits from no red meat to no meat and almost no dairy (I still am eating yogurt, so I am not really a vegan!)

I was talking to Robert about vegan/vegitarian food, protein consumption, daily variety, etc... and he suggested I check out this site.

So far I have seen a bunch of great recipe ideas and some good talk about diet. I look forward to searching through the forums in more detail.[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:40 pm 
Elephant

Hello & Welcome Isaac! :D

Thanks for getting Robert going, via Jordan. Where are you at just south of Portland - Milwaukee? Tigard? Glad you made your way to the forums - we have lots of great info and folks here. Please jump right in!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:51 pm 
Stegosaurus

Welcome to the boards.

Yeah, I know how you felt, dairy of all groups of animal based foods was the worst for me to give up, but it wasn't even all that hard anyway (except when I was at a graduation party and saw chocolate chip cookies with the biggest chocolate chips I'd ever seen, but that's another story, I still avoided. :-D). There's plenty of good recipies, but some of the more simple ones are the best (ie: Fruit smoothies).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:21 pm 
Stegosaurus

Odidnetne wrote:
Welcome to the boards.

Yeah, I know how you felt, dairy of all groups of animal based foods was the worst for me to give up, but it wasn't even all that hard anyway (except when I was at a graduation party and saw chocolate chip cookies with the biggest chocolate chips I'd ever seen, but that's another story, I still avoided. :-D). There's plenty of good recipies, but some of the more simple ones are the best (ie: Fruit smoothies).

Welcome isaac!
Odidnetne, perhaps this will satiate that desire (but its not raw though):

Courteousy of jjaj, and recipe under vegan recipes (scroll down a bit).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:23 pm 
Stegosaurus

isaac, the best yogurt is by Silk. It hands down beats the other vegan yogurts IMO, and I think this will help you kick that last bit of dairy. Try some. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:27 pm 
Elephant

compassionategirl wrote:
isaac, the best yogurt is by Silk. It hands down beats the other vegan yogurts IMO, and I think this will help you kick that last bit of dairy. Try some. :D

My personal favorite soygurt is from Nancy's. They are from Eugene and can be found at most any natural foods store or co-op. Fred Meyer's may carry it too but I'm not sure...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:31 pm 
Stegosaurus

loveliberate wrote:
compassionategirl wrote:

My personal favorite soygurt is from Nancy's. They are from Eugene and can be found at most any natural foods store or co-op. Fred Meyer's may carry it too but I'm not sure...

LL, do you think that nancy's is better than Silk? I am not sure that we even have that brand in toronto, so i dont think I could test your theory. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:38 pm 
Elephant

CG,
I'm glad that Silk is available so widely but I do like the Nancy's better for the taste, quality ingredients, the fact that they are Cascadia based and not so corporate, etc. Remind me and I'll buy you some when you come out in August! :D Here's a link for Nancy's soy stuff: http://www.nancysyogurt.com/nancys_products/soy.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:43 pm 
Elephant

havent seen nancys in any store around here .... soy milk has so many ingredients that technically i doubt its even healthy for us :( but i need my cereal so i'll keep drinking the stuff :D

btw those c00kies l00k to die for...... *dr00ls* :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:48 pm 
Stegosaurus

endcruelty wrote:
soy milk has so many ingredients that technically i doubt its even healthy for us :( but i need my cereal so i'll keep drinking the stuff :D

I disagree, and i certainly dont think that dairy is any healthier than soy.

But nevertheless, fortunately there are other options like almond milk, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:12 am 
Stegosaurus

compassionategirl wrote:
Odidnetne wrote:
Welcome to the boards.

Welcome isaac!
Odidnetne, perhaps this will satiate that desire (but its not raw though):

Courteousy of jjaj, and recipe under vegan recipes (scroll down a bit).

Thanks, but I really don't have the desire for chocolate anymore, it was just that day, I could smell the chocolate, that's what was killing me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:12 am 
Site Admin

Welcome Isaac!

Yes, in a round-about way, I do owe a lot of my success to you! Glad to have you here. Jordan and my sister (two other major influences on my lifestyle) are both on this forum, but rarely write anything.

Awesome to have you here and since you're in the Portland area, you can join us for our vegan vacation. It's not limited to just vegans, we're there to help positively influence non-vegans and show all the awesome healthy vegan foods out there. So please join us!

Thanks again for joining our forum here and it was great to see you a few weeks back.

Can't jack these dees.....thee ya!

-Cheeke

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:24 am 
Elephant

robert wrote:
Can't jack these dees.....thee ya!

:shock: Huh?!? Must be a Corvallis thang... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:27 am 
Site Admin

It's a Jordan thing (you recall Jordan from the movie, right?) I refer to him multiple times as the key behind my interest in bodybuilding and an ingredient to my overall success. He's also in my music montage when I introduce him. He was also at the vegan potluck and is listed in the credits as "Classic Man"

Blast if I have to....don't make me have to :P

....sorry, another Jordan thing. Jordan, Isaac, and I go way back.

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:23 am 
Gorilla

Welcome Isaac!

Have you tried soy yoghurt? Silk's vanilla is pretty good.

8)