Great to have you here. Sounds like you are pretty big and strong. Awesome that you want to start working out again and take some nutritional supplements.
I would strongly encourage you to avoid whey. I don't see any benefit to it and it is very detrimental to the environment.
I do have some suggestions and I'm sure you'll hear many of them. There are lots of great vegan products out there.
I use Vega, it is a complete meal replacement with 25grams of protein per serving coming from 5 sources, which makes it superior to whey, or soy or anything else by itself. The 5 sources are Hemp (the best plant-based source of protein), Rice, Pea, Flax, and Chlorella.
It totally rocks and you can check it out to read more on www.myvega.com
Other suggestions would be to eat just plain Hemp protein, Pea protein, Rice, etc.
Of course a wide variety of foods would not make it necessary to take supplements, but in the bodybuilding world, they can help.
We're glad to have you here and welcome aboard! You'll find this group to be very friendly and supportive...and if you don't find us to be that
way...please let me know and I'll sort it out
I'll make it easy for you so you don't have to search out the info..here is some information from the Vega website:
Features & Benefits
Formulated by Brendan Brazier, vegan, professional Ironman triathlete and best-selling author on performance nutrition, Vega is made exclusively from natural plant-based whole foods.
A synergistic collection of Brendan’s favorite plant-based superfoods, Vega is not only a complete meal replacement, but also an ideal daily health-optimizing supplement.
High in fiber, protein and essential fatty acids, Vega is naturally filling and satisfying, helping to reduce appetite and cravings. Each serving of Vega supplies:
25g of Broad Spectrum Protein
* 40% of calories from protein, with all essential amino acids in ideal balance
* Alkaline forming, 35% raw protein with enzymes intact
* Protein sourced from hemp, yellow pea, brown rice, flax and chlorella
7g of Essential Fatty Acids
* 30% of calories from naturally occurring fats from whole foods
* EFA’s mostly in the form of hard to get Omega 3’s and zero trans fats
* EFA’s sourced from whole flax seed (not flax meal), hemp and chlorella
16g of Quality Carbohydrates
* 30% of calories from naturally occurring complex carbohydrates; no maltodextrin
* Naturally low glycemic index and no sugars or sugar derivatives added
* Carbohydrates sourced from hemp, flax, brown rice and maca
9g of Fabulous Fiber
* Contains both soluble and insoluble fiber
* Helps balance blood sugar, reduce insulin, improve elimination
* Fiber sourced from hemp, flax, fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS) and chlorella
Full Serving of ChlorEssence (High CGF Chlorella)
* Rich in protein, chlorophyll and nucleic acids DNA & RNA
* Cleanse, nourish, rejevenate cells and activate, support immune system
* Special cell wall fiber binds to and removes heavy metals and other toxins from the body
Full Serving of MacaSure (Organic Gelatinized Maca)
* Rich in alkaloids, glucosinolates, minerals and sterols
* Increase energy, reduce stress, balance hormones, improve libido
* Gelatinization enhances potency and ease of digestion/absorption
Mixed Berry Complex (ORAC 800 blend)
* Great source of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals
* Helps defend against free radical damage
* Beneficial form of bacteria
* Helps maintains healthy intestinal flora
* Facilitates breakdown of food to improve absorption
* Helps reduce nutritional stress digestion places on the body
24 Vitamins & Minerals
* All essential minerals present in easily absorbable form (HVP Chelate)
* All essential vitamins present in natural form
With just 240 calories and 7g of net carbs per serving (natural flavor), Vega is an excellent choice for those on a calorie-reduced diet. High in fiber, protein and essential fats, Vega is naturally filling and satisfying, helping to suppress appetite and cravings.
Easily digested, alkaline and great-tasting, Vega is clean and green, containing no animal products, corn, dairy, egg, fillers, gluten, soy, sugar, wheat or yeast. Absolutely no artificial colors, flavors, preservatives or sweeteners and GMO and pesticide-free.
Vega is available in wholesome and delicious Natural, Berry and Chocolate flavors, in three sizes: individual 20g Snack Packs, small bottles containing 7-8 servings and large bottles containing 15-17 servings. One serving of Vega is a complete meal, exceeding all meal replacement requirements, but people with smaller appetites may find half a serving sufficiently satiating.