Hi from Virginia

Haniska

Hi I'm Haniska in Va. I've been a vegetarian since I was 14 and vegan since 18. I'm over on the vegan forum as well. I think that looking healthy is the strongest source of activism! I'm thin naturally and would like to put on some more muscle and hoped that you guys could hook me up with some inspiration.

Welcome!

Thanks so much for joining us! Awesome to have you here. You will feel very much at home and meet some amazing people! You'll learn all kinds of information about health and fitness, and of course we look forward to getting to know you as well.

All the best, and welcome aboard!

Nice to see another Virginian on here...not too many of us Anyway I've been on both sides...trying to get big and now trying to get small so I've got alot of info if you give me an idea of your goals....this sites also full of great info from alot of great athletes that have made big gains

I would really like to bulk up my upper body. I have something wrong with the way my ribs are fitted together so it hurts some to do pushups. That is mostly an excuse probably, I'm sure lots of people experience pain when they start out. I also would like to work on my stomach but it seems that situps just make my stomach bigger. This may be because I am so thin besides. Hehe.

I haven't done push ups for 8 months and tried them again last week...it really hurt my pecs bad....I think it comes from the pressure while being stretched out. I'm a little more flexibe than I was but I'm just not used to carrying weight with my arms back anymore. Its just something you've gotta get used to...I reccommend dumbell presses for that...I'll let you stretch back much further than a straight bar. As for the abs I do 1000 crunches a day out of routine and it doesn't do anything other than give me endurance for my bike rides...visually I see nothing unless I do 2000. When I do that I get a little pump and I can see my abs better. Your abs may be growing when you do them but maybe not...either way I don't think anyone should stop doing abs because it keeps your body inline for everything else. Also once you start bulking a little in the shoulders your waist will look much thinner even if it isn't...squats and lunges will do the same if you wanna build up your lower body. ***Someday I hope that I can call myself thin...I've still got alot of work ahead of me for that:) I couldn't care less about how I look...its all about functionality for me and pedaling my body up hills.

I'm doing standing dumbell presses (if that is what you'd call them) I've been getting good at doing those but haven't got down on the floor yet.

Squats really hurt my knees (same deal as my ribs basically) but I think I would benefit from less reps. Can someone tell me how to do squats with weights? I think that that would do me good. My lower body is pretty good to me, I walk 5 days a week for half an hour. I have stairs at home and at work and honestly I think that they have done more for my calves than any exercise. I would like to bulk up my hips though. I'd like to firm my butt up without losing it.

Okay, I'm getting on the floor Now. My SIL told me to do 100 hundred throughout the day even if it means doing 5 at a time.

Wow! Weight lifting must have really helped because I mostly felt that in my arms! I felt a little pain but I suppose that may go away eventually.

The dumbells should be done on a bench so you can get the dumbells even with your chest and your elbows behind you. But shoulder presses are good too for bulking them up...they'll work your upper pectorals too.

In terms of the squats the most important thing for your back is to make sure you have a modest arch in your back with your butt out...I was always told to stand with the bar...push your butt back a bit and drop down until your upper leg is parallel with the ground...the next step is simple stand up by pushing your hips foreward(not foreward past your spine just foreward of where they were) You also don't want your knees to pass your toes(this could be the source of your pain). I also reccommend not going so heavy until your comfortable doing them. Doing heavy squats when your starting out is a great way to feel good about the weight and hurt your body at the same time...then you learn to do them right and get discouraged when you realize you were doing them wrong. Trust me...if you've never done them you'll see results pretty fast even with modest weights. You can also do these with dumbells at your side. Either way you do them make sure your getting low at the legs and not the back...alot of people drop their shoulders foreward and it makes them think they are bending their legs more. My way around this is putting the bar low on your back...alot of people put the bar on their traps but if you put it lower you won't have to worry about the leverage of the bar pushing you foreward. Oh...keeping your head level but looking up is a good thing too. This is how I was taught and this is what worked for me. There are other ways that are also correct and you may see them on here...just give them a try and see what fits you best.

Good luck!!! You'll be happy with your results so long as you put in a good effort...especially with being new to it...us seasoned people need to do alot to see any improvement

HMM just down the road...we must have a meetup very soon Just down the road for me can be 50miles on my bike though...anyway I live in Oregon Hill

Never heard of south hill..I'm about 1.5miles north of VCUs art building and about 1 mile North of Harrison Street Cafe and Panda Veg if that helps

Lot further than I thought...anyway let me know if you and your husband ever head north...we can go get some grub or something