Mugen from Seattle

Mugen

Hello! Thanks everyone for the great site/forum...it really helps me sort through the many questions that surface when one decides to eat a vegan diet. I am 4 months into my vegan diet and have been gluten free for a few years. I developed some food allergies about 4 years ago and have been experimenting with nutrition ever since. As my training regimen got more intense, I started looking for ways to recover faster. This led me to Brenden Brazier's book and his nutrition program. I started taking Vega Sport protein as a nutritional supplement (to replace Whey...ugh). After a few weeks I was using several of those products because I felt so much better! I have never processed dairy very well and ate very little of it, basically...I just decided to get rid of what little meat I had left in my diet. My results were great and I see no need to go back to eating meat. Many of my allergies and random health issues have cleared. My energy level has increased substantially during my training and recovery times have decreased. Basically, mission accomplished! I know a lot of people on the Paleo diet and they are constantly complaining or "cheating". I don't complain or cheat...I love the way I eat and the way it makes me feel

I've always been lean, but never very strong or particularly athletic. I'm attaching a recent photo. That photo is at 4 months of my current nutrition plan and at about 9 months of my current training program which consists of Krav Maga, Yoga, and body weight calisthenics (bar training).

Thanks!

Mugen

1506522279_month4.jpg.1b18687663e7f2fd6ecd29825f24f3bc.jpg

Month 4

Welcome, great to see more people popping up from the NW. Dang man you're cut! I feel you on Brendan Braziers books, they are excellent.

What have you noticed as far as testing out your bodies reactions to food allergies? My gf and I are dabbling with seeing if we have any results from going gluten free.

-Dylan

C.O.- Thanks man, eating right and training hard has been great for my health and happiness!

Over the years I've done elimination diets on all major allergens and different food groups. I've evaluated different proteins as well as EFA's and even how different Omega balances can affect my health.

For me personally, eating gluten causes digestive issues. It also promoted inflammation in my body (monitored by joint pain and facial swelling, which is very slight). My goal was faster recovery after training session and inflammation is a huge part of that. I also believed that inflammation was at least partly responsible for my long-term migraines...which was true to an extent. I know several people who have tried eliminating gluten from their diets and have noticed an improvement in overall health and just feeling more energetic. When they go back to gluten, and they always do, they get sick for a while and usually regret going back.

My good friend and his wife have gone gluten free and have never looked back. They have both been feeling much better with their long-term issues (not sure what they are, but I think they were mostly digestive related).

Every now and then I will accidentally ingest something I am allergic to and have a reaction, so I know those allergies still exist and just avoid those items as much as possible.

-Mugen

• 3 weeks later...
Welcome dude! My training partner is on the paleo diet and he is ALWAYS complaining about something. You definitely need to love what you do, and everything will be much easier.

How long have you been working out? Your shoulders are huge!

Thanks man! I agree...I love my food and enjoy eating healthy. I think that's the big difference...most people see a "diet" as them giving up stuff they love to eat and suffering. You'll never stick to anything like that. Friends see how I eat and are like, "man, that really sucks!". But I'm not complaining at all and when I throw down for 2 hours of sparring they usually rethink how I eat.

I've been training now for 11 months with Krav and started doing bodyweight exercises (found on YouTube, Frank Medrano, etc.) about the time I started eating completely GF/V...which was about 5-ish months ago.

Hundreds of punches and push-ups daily has been great for my shoulder strength.

Hey Mugen. Looks like your diet and workout plan is really working well for you!

I love my gluten personally... particularly the beer... haha... but I know there are those that don't tolerate it as well.

Other than that I'm totally with you on the 'lovin' the diet' thing. I have made so many new recipes that I've fallen in love with it is unreal... just made a sweet potato casserole tonight to add to my list of favs. And I do feel better overall too!

Curious... what plan do you prescribe to to "balance your omega 3 intake"?

Thx.

• 1 month later...
Hey Mugen. Looks like your diet and workout plan is really working well for you!

I love my gluten personally... particularly the beer... haha... but I know there are those that don't tolerate it as well.

Other than that I'm totally with you on the 'lovin' the diet' thing. I have made so many new recipes that I've fallen in love with it is unreal... just made a sweet potato casserole tonight to add to my list of favs. And I do feel better overall too!

Thx.

Casserole sounds good! As for Omegas, I haven't really thought about it lately. My VegaOne supplements have quite a bit and I eat a lot of walnuts and seeds like flax. What's your thoughts for that?

Sorry no idea where I was going with that..tho I'm sure at the time I had something on my mind or more than likely just read something related. lol.

Personally I eat way too many almonds and peanut butter which are both high in omega 6. Don't think I can give up my nut bars or pb and banana tho... so I guess I have no plan right now.

Looking very shredded! I love Vega products for the recovery aspect, too. I'm doing my first figure competition in 2 weeks and have been cranking out two a days for at least two months now. The employees at my gym comment on how nice and happy I am this close to showtime, because they say everyone else complains. Naturally it's because they eat dry chicken breast all day every day. I tell them it's because I eat real food that is good for me and tastes good, too.

I especially like seeing men go vegan because so many people still think you have to eat steak to be a "real man." Kudos to you for doing research and taking control of your health