Hi! Brand spankin' new!!

Jennyg4882

Hey Everyone -

I am so excited to be partaking in this community! I work in fitness, and have been vegetarian for a few years now, and for about a week, went fully raw vegan - just to try. As a group fitness manager and instructor, I find myself teaching a lot of classes, but not taking time for myself. I have a lot of vegan nay-sayers, so I figured I'd prove them wrong and take my fitness to the next level - the problem, Im not really sure where to start - specifically with some more serious weight training. I am currently about 108lbs, 19% body fat. I want to lower my BF% and increase my lean muscle mass, all while hopefully improving my energy levels, skin, and overall health with a plant-based diet.

I figured I have nothing to lose - so here goes! Any advice would be much appreciated! I look forward to "meeting" you all and learning.

Jenny

Thanks Guys - I am excited to embark on this new journey. Dylan - would love any advice you have to give as far as meals. I find myself worrying about low protein intake and high fat intake since Im eating a lot of nuts and seeds. I would just like to see what other people out there are eating like.

You should start by checking out the training journal section of the forum here. Lots of people track their daily diets. I don't my journal is, very journal like, that's what works for me not stats but many people thrive on tracking their stats, eating and training wise. I go through people's journals all the time looking at what they are eating and looking for new workout routines. I find it very useful.

If you spend some time going through the journals and still would like some personalized help PM me.

-Dylan

• 3 months later...

Don't let anyone bug you about protein. If you are eating healthy foods and making sure to include a variety, you will get more than enough.

I'm working towards a Mcdougallstyle plan... no processed foods, no added fats or sugars. In a different vegan crossfit forum I've heard that many others have had some excellent success with that plan. From everything I've read, it makes a lot of sense, so I'm almost ready to jump in myself. Well, as soon as I can give up my creamer, tortilla chips, and choc chip nut bars... haha. Its always easy to know what to do.. harder to do it. Anyways the McDougall plan may be worth looking into for you. Apparently you will never go hungry eating like that and will have tons of energy .. but you will have to be willing to try new recipes etc.

If McDougall is too extreme for you then at the very least try to eliminate any/all processed foods. They are crap - they offer very little nutritional value and they will work against any weight loss goals you have.

If you are considering adopting a vegan lifestyle long term, make sure to supplement b12.

Welcome to the forum.