Hello, kidney and vegan diet

Introduce yourself. Tell us about your training history, how long you've been vegan, share some of your goals and some of your interests.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

csvipond
Finch

Hello, kidney and vegan diet

#1 Postby csvipond » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:48 pm

Hi! I am so excited to find this place. I lost a kidney in 1997 due to a sports accident. I competed in my first bodybuilding competition in 2010 but was told the high (animal) protein diet was too hard on my remaining kidney and it was highly suggested I stop. I tried again in 2012 but ended up in stage 4 of chronic kidney failure 2 weeks before the show and had to stop immediately or risk dialysis. I have gained 20 pounds since then. I was wondering if anyone has any experience/information on vegan protein and effects on the kidney.
Thanks!

C.O.
VBB Moderator

Re: Hello, kidney and vegan diet

#2 Postby C.O. » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:23 pm

Hello and welcome, what is your name? I would suggest trying to use the search function in the upper right hand corner for kidney failure. From an non professional point of view though I have heard and read tons of information about how much easier a plant based diet is on your body. I think you are definitely headed in the right direction now.

-Dylan

stcalico
Manatee

#3 Postby stcalico » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:52 pm

Hi there.

Here is an informative article from Dr. McDougall which goes into some detail on the topic.

I did not read it all, but it looks like information that you will find useful.
If it's important to you, you'll find a way. If it isn't, you'll find an excuse.

csvipond
Finch

#4 Postby csvipond » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:13 pm

Thank you for the encouragement and information, both are much appreciated.
Christina

Return to “Introductions”