Hello from a vegan newbie!

Introduce yourself. Tell us about your training history, how long you've been vegan, share some of your goals and some of your interests.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

run_on_green
Finch

Hello from a vegan newbie!

#1 Postby run_on_green » Tue May 28, 2013 8:49 am

Hello,

I am so excited that I found this website on the Vegucated site! I have been running for years and started serious weight training about six months ago. Recently, I began to transition my diet to vegan. So far I love it, but many of my friends don't understand it and think that in order to be an athlete you have to eat meat. I'm trying to help them understand my vegan ways and why I chose this lifestyle without being too preachy or obnoxious.

I'm glad to be a part of this forum because I feel that many of us not only want to improve ourselves, but also want to make positive changes for animals and the environment!

Thanks,

Camie
Attachments
2013-04-28 16.01.35.jpg
2013-04-28 16.01.35.jpg (128.23 KiB) Viewed 1402 times

Emrys
Rabbit

Re: Hello from a vegan newbie!

#2 Postby Emrys » Tue May 28, 2013 7:47 pm

I think the best thing we can do is lead by example. I had my own biases about protein before trying veganism (from vegetarian) so I can understand how hard it is to prove to someone else. Welcome to the forums.
Little greatness.

JubNZ
Manatee

#3 Postby JubNZ » Tue May 28, 2013 11:56 pm

Welcome to the forums Camie,

Hope ya enjoy them and get involved. Its an awesome community here!

Jub.
Just do it.

C.O.
VBB Moderator

#4 Postby C.O. » Wed May 29, 2013 6:20 pm

Hey Camie, welcome to the community, glad you found us! Trying to explain to runners about the benefits of a vegan diet. Two words, Brendan Brazier.

-Dylan

stcalico
Manatee

#5 Postby stcalico » Wed May 29, 2013 11:37 pm

Welcome Camie! Psychologically speaking, preaching or arguing is a sure-fire way to build up others' resistance to your ideas. Best and easier to work on points you agree on... so def. you are on the right track.
If it's important to you, you'll find a way. If it isn't, you'll find an excuse.

run_on_green
Finch

#6 Postby run_on_green » Thu May 30, 2013 9:11 am

Thanks for the great welcome everyone! I am finding so many helpful resources. Dylan, thanks for the tip on Brendan Brazier, have you checked out his site http://www.thriveforward.com? It looks like it has a ton of great information!

Camie

Return to “Introductions”