Hi - Connie from Texas

techfiddle

Hi: I just received Robert Cheeke's (how do you pronounce that?) book, Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness, and am about 1/2 way through it. Glad to find his page and this forum.

I'm 63 next month, vegan for a couple of years and vegetarian for most of my life. Really could not tolerate the notion of eating skin, bones, etc., in meat, as a child and when I read Sinclair Lewis, that put an end to my meat eating. Veganism and now, even, raw, is where I want to be.

I had ovarian cancer last year, Stage 1A, and survived, I am convinced, because of my diet. I did do the chemo (it was a 37 cm. tumor!!), lost my hair, but it grew back, thick and curly! And then I was diagnosed with degenerative osteoarthritis.

I'm determined not to give up, despite the pain. I'm investigating doing a lot of weight lifting and swimming, and getting back on track. Am I too old to do bodybuilding? I wonder if there is anyone my age who starts this? I've always lifted weights, BTW, but very light ones, 4 lbs., to facilitate my violin playing (I'm a violinist and conductor).

Robert's book was/is very inspiring, is getting me back to dedicating all my time to my work (conducting and music teaching), and I want to thank him for this. I'm also very avid regarding animal rights, and I want to thank him for that, also!!

Connie

Hi Connie, welcome to the community here. Glad to hear you were inspired by Robert's book, he's an inspiring guy for sure. His last name is just pronounced cheek, that extra e is just for looks I guess.

-Dylan

Hi Connie, welcome to the community here. Glad to hear you were inspired by Robert's book, he's an inspiring guy for sure. His last name is just pronounced cheek, that extra e is just for looks I guess.

-Dylan

Thank you for the welcome, Dylan. There's a wonderful book I read about this (elderly women lifting weights), Strong Women Stay Young. Studies in nursing homes indicated that weight lifting was good for the elderly, too, and produced remarkable results.

Welcome, Connie!

Thanks so much for reading my book and for sharing your kind words.

I really appreciate it.

Congratulations on overcoming cancer and for your pursuit of fitness, weight training, and animal rights activism through your diet and lifestyle.

Throughout my travels I do meet people who begin bodybuilding in their 50s or 60s. I know of people well into their 70s who are at the gym regularly.

All the best with your health and fitness, music playing and conducting, and everything else.

Again, welcome and thank you for your kind words.

-Robert