Traditional Bikini Competitor to Vegan Bikini Competitor

AspiringVeganBikini

Hi All,

I am so excited to have stumbled upon this website/forum. I am an "Aspiring" Vegan . I have been competing in traditional Bodybuilding (NPC Bikini Competitor) for the last year and a half. My husband and I compete together (He is a NPC Physique Competitor) and we recently decided to "Retire" from competing.

There were several issues we had with the sport, one being that once we advanced to the National level we realized that we were NOT OK with the fact that the competitons were no longer drug tested. We are 100% natural and had only competed in natural shows up until that point. We both feel very strongly that if drugs are involved, we want nothing to do with it.

My personal struggle over the last 18mo has also been the amount of animal products ingested as my source of protein. I have always had an interest in the Vegan lifestyle and it is something that along with yoga, meditation, holistic heath etc. has "called" me back frequently during the last 20 years. I felt that although I placed well in the competitons (4 shows_ (2)1st placings, (1) 3rd place, (1) 4th place), I would not stick with it because it was not at all aligned with my beliefs.

I ramdomly stumbled upon a podcast last Friday called "Mainstreet Vegan_Vegan Bodybuilding" and it completely changed my perspective on my future in the sport. I had really written off competing ever again, but felt pulled back and torn because there were parts that I really enjoyed. Vegan Bodybuilding could be my answer to the best of both worlds and I strongly believe it was "fate" that I came acress that podcast. I was perusing the web all weekend and following the natural show in Austin, TX that the "Plant Built" team was competing in. The athletes looked amazing and I felt that inner fire light up again.

I have no idea where to begin Do I start with small steps toward a Vegan lifestyle and just let things evolve slowly, or go with the "Rip it off like a band aid" philosophy and just start cold turkey?

I would love bodybuilding Meal ideas if anyone has any that are low carb, gluten free AND Vegan (I know, kind of a tall order here ) My body does not like Carbs or Gluten_I get puffy and feel lousy.

I am so excited to hear from others, and network with like minded people FINALLY!

Peace, Blessings, Namaste_Nicole

Hi Nicole,

Welcome to the community here. Great to hear you and your hubby took a stance on staying natural and only wanting to be involved in drug free events. Glad to have you join us here. I'm sure you'll pick up a lot of helpful knowledge.

-Dylan