Hello there! :)

KJayasuriya

I have been vegetarian for a year now, and is steadily making the switch to Vegan. As of August, my finest achievement has been losing fifty pounds a year and a half ago. Having weighed in at 191 lbs, I was obese, and was on the verge of developing type two diabetes (it runs in the family btw). I lived in denial for a long time. I continued eating all the processed/junk food I could find in the refrigerator. During the months of December, a light switch went off my head, I decided to make a life change and get healthy. I signed up for a weight training class, and in five months, I had lost the weight I stated above. In November of that year, I decided to take my health/fitness one step further by changing diets. I became a vegetarian. Soon after, I started to feel a lot better about myself. Not only had I lost a lot of weight, but I was happy with what I was eating.

Strangely enough, once becoming Vegetarian, I started having a little bit of issues with my bowel movements. I soon realized that this was due to my growing lactose intolerance. I did not think much about it until very recently. I have ordered Robert Cheeke's book, Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness and cannot wait to read it. He has inspired me tremendously. As I start making the change, I hope to inspire others - just as he did to me.

For all of you who are curious about my current weight, I currently weigh around 138-145 lbs. At 5'6, I think that is decent. People say that my ambitions are too high - some even going to say that you cannot get strong without meat, but if Mr. Cheeke and all of you can do it, why can't I? Anyways, I look forward to talking with you all!

• 5 weeks later...

I finished reading Robert's book a few weeks back, and since I have made it official - I am Vegan. People are already noticing the changes. Having struggled with self esteem issues, when others tell me they like my complexion, I do not know what to say. But, I am sure it is partly due to the change I made in my diet/lifestyle. I really look forward to getting to know many of you. I am rather shy, so I am not sure where to start.

I would just browse the site, post questions and comments on other people's threads, and maybe start a journal in the fitness journals section and keep track of your workouts and what you are eating.

95% of the people here (not a real statistic just my view) are very open minded, friendly, and knowledgeable in different areas.

-Dylan