HELLO from NZ

tomatosoup

Hey everyone my name is Andrew, I'm from Te Ika a Maui, New Zealand. Really stoked there is a big forum for vegans on the internet! I'm rather alone where I come from, veganism certainly isn't as big here as in the UK and US. I have been vegan over six years, vegetarian for seven years before that. I started working out regularly about a month ago after coming home from an overseas trip. I went hiking in the Tatras mountains in Slovakia with a couple of fit Aussies, long story short they powered up this mountain while I dragged myself along well behind them with aching legs and a burning chest. So my big goal now is to get more out of life being physically and metally fit.

I joined a gym about a month ago (not my first gym membership, but my first in a long time) and a trainer put me on a pretty basic program for now just to build overall strength.

Here's my program which I do at least three days per week:

Squats: 3x20 sets

Bench press: 4x8 sets 35kg

Military press: 3x10 sets 20kg (bar)

Assisted pullups: 4x8 20kg

Seated row: 3x10 20kg

Pull off press: 3x10 3.75kg

I usually do a few more random exercises but that's the core of it. I'm ready to step it up a notch now once I get to see a trainer again as I don't want to do the squats incorrectly. My long term goals are losing a lot of body fat and building lots more muscle and endurance, and increase my weight to 70kg (currently 64).

Been doing cardio as well, have found I quickly built up my ability with that (girlfriend jokingly said it's because of my skinny chicken legs, haha). Yesterday I did 55 minutes on a treadmill at 9.5km/h and I honestly have not done very many cardio workouts. So I'm quite happy with that.

I have a lot body fat I want to lose, and I'm not sure how to go about eating in order to build muscle as well as lose the fat. I punched my measurements into a few online calculators and apparently my percentage is around 19-21% body fat. I'm not counting my calories or protein too much right now, however I'm sure I'm getting at least 70g, if not up to 100g protein per day, does that sound like enough for a 64kg male lifting weights? I'm eating my usual diet - oats for brekky, tofu, quinoa, bread, rice, soy milk lots of veges, and have increased my beans and lentils, and also started hemp protein shakes after workouts.

Might not be the best forum to ask but does anyone have critique on my weight program and how much should I be eating - should I hold back or should I eat a lot more food that I usually would?

thanks for reading my novel! haha

Great to have you here man ~ and awesome (Oresome) to see another kiwi on the board.

Look forward to seeing you posting around the board, I can highly recommend you start up a training log at some point. Flick me a PM if you are ever coming to Christchurch, happy to show you around and hit the vegan food joints that I frequent um, frequently.

Kia kaha MF.