Guidance 4 someone who wants to be vegan & is a bodybuilder

alexstrain

One of my friends is deployed in Kuwait but PMed me on FB tonight asking how to eat a healthy plant based diet and be a bodybuilder. He is very focused on fitness and quite cut and built. He is also interested in learning more about veganism. I sent him a link to this website and hope he joins the forum. I sent him info on veganism. I probably overloaded him with information frankly. LOL But I wanted to know if there is a good place to start for those already into fitness to teach them what to eat. He tried before but ended up starving himself eating just salad. I said kale, seeds, nuts, edamame, sweet potato, quinoa, smoothies with fruit, greens and Vega as a few things. Also, datorade. I also suggested he read the interviews with vegan athletes b/c usually they give a sample of their typical diet.

We really have so many options really but I don't want to overwhelm. Is there a great first book you recommend? Any magazine subscriptions?

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Alex,

I would recommend any of Mike Mentzers books, Namely Heavy Duty book 1 & 2, and the wisdom of Mike Mentzer. Mike was not a vegan, however his nutritional advise was very simple, obtain a varied well balance diet. Mike taught people about the truth of exercise science in a very honest and objective way. Id also recommend Body By Science book 1 and 2, Max contraction Training and advanced max contraction training.

I wouldn't recommend any magazines subscriptions Alex, they don't care about real science or truth, their main objective is to sell supplements, they have top BB champs (who are genetic steroid and growth hormone using freaks) to endorse their products, they also cherry pick research the backs up supplement use. Every now and then they'll thrown in an arbitrary training article, however this is just so that the mag doesn't appear to be a flagrant supplement ad book.

Hope this helps mate

Best

Rob