Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Been Vegan for the last 6 months or so
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:16 pm 
Finch

I have been Vegan for 6 months - although I had a naughty slip over the Christmas period.

I have been a lacto, then ovo lacto vegetarian since birth - mostly for religious reasons. I became vegan last august due to the fact that I was having problems with my excema - whenever I ate cheese my skin was beginning to swell up and burn on my hands, and eggs were likewise giving me just as many if not more problems - I used them instead of cheese for awhile.

I was worried about protein, and to that end I got a very useful personal trainer based in Baldock in hertforshire to give me both some exercise advice and dietary advice - his name is Toby Channon - voted UK's sexiest vegan - I was hoping it may rub off on me.

I had heard stories of people going vegan, and both putting on muscle and losing fat - and I thought it was nonsense. Well I have found a number of benefits which I will say as follows:

1. Gone is the excema
2. I had a knee op in 2012 - that continued to trouble me until I went Vegan - now the joint inflamation, and my dodgy neck problems have gone
3. I have lost fat
4. I have put on more muscle
5. Oddly enough - I don't bloat when I eat bread now - so at least I get back a food that used to give me a bit of problems in the past
6. my ahem ... libido... is up :lol:

My strength to weight ratio is better than ever and went from 15 stones to 13st 2lb - but this has been fluctuating a tad - although my muscles have definitely become stronger and bigger of late.

I am currently training 3 days a week, and my training has gone through a couple of cycles since August last year:

August - October
all body parts
4 circuits
slow reps

October - January (i had a bad cold in january - set off by a alcohol that gave me a bad asthma reaction)
split

2 days upper body
1 lower
and vice versa

I have combined my new diet with intermittent fasting where I follow the Brad Pillon method of 2 24 hours fasts a week.

I am just about to embark on another big phase in my training whereby I am wanting to add some bulk up to April - so I am gonna do compound power movements.

Thanks for reading

take care

Loheswaran (Lohan)

Post subject: Re: Been Vegan for the last 6 months or so
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:46 pm 
VBB Moderator

Hey Lohan! Welcome to the group here! Thanks for sharing and being so candid. Great stuff.