Howdy!

capricorn

I am a new vegan. I was Pescatarian for 8 years.

For years I was reluctant to make the vegan lifestyle change simply because I wasn't sure that I could get the nutrients that I needed to continue to make gains in training. Of course once I did switch my body felt better very quickly and I have been rewarded with faster recovery times, great gains and no nagging conscience over the food I am consuming. I stopped eating fish this last November and finally gave up eggs by the end of 2013. I have been totally vegan since January, and started training for my first bikini competition in February. The vegan part was easy, but getting the food right for the May competition has been a challenge, but I'm getting through it.

I look forward to learning from you all.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Again! So this is the final week before my first NPC bikini competition. I'm so fortunate that my coaches have not tried to change my vegan lifestyle. They are super supportive. This is new for them so they are seeing it as a learning experience also. Since this was my first competition I went by their guidelines and just tried my hardest to keep my macros right...I am soy and gluten free so it has been a bit of a challenge. In this last week I am currently on no carbs, but will incorporate a small amount tomorrow and up until the show on Sat. In general I feel pretty good, but I have I have 0 energy and massive brain fog which is expected I guess. Over all I think my physique in on target, but I know I need build out hamstrings a little more for my next competition.

I am doing my homework now for future competitions. I cut out fruits weeks ago and I am eating basically broccoli, asparagus, romaine and beyond beef, and plant fusion protein...but the sodium in that as well as my plant protein shakes is really making it tough. I don't normally eat a lot of sodium.

If anyone has experience or thoughts here it would be helpful. I have read that some people eat fruit all the way up to show time...my coaches don't subscribe to that, but I am willing to push my boundaries.

I have seen several vegan competitors post thier diet plan, but it is for 12 weeks out, not for 1-2 weeks out.

Just curious what others are doing and finding success.

Thanks!!