Well, I have been lurking around the site for the past few months, and finally decided to jump in.
My name is Damien, I am a Canadian, currently living and working in Lewiston, Maine. I have been a vegan for about the last 5 years. My main reason for doing it was health. As a result of becoming a Vegan, and working through a lot of troubleshooting, I have managed to conquor my eczema, I lost 30 pounds of fat, and have greatly improved my health.
I was competitive cycling for about two years, then quit in October of last year. I have always weight trained to some degree for the last 10 years or so, but when I quit cycling, I decided to become much more focused. I love it, and I am starting to see some good results, I have gained about 10 lbs of lean muscle in the last 6 months.
I have a wife and three kids, all who are vegan as well. My youngest two have been that way since birth. My wife also followed a vegan diet through her last two pregnancies, and had great results. We are very committed to this lifestyle as a family, and believe that it is the key to optimum health. This January we taught a health course at our church that introduced people to a vegan diet. It was very well recieved, and we plan on doing more in the future. (our family website is at http://www.tougas.net
So, in summary, these are my basic philosophies:
- I am currently following a program similar to what Clarence Bass recommends in his book "Ripped 3", and I love it. It is based on the principle of periodization, and that really grooves with me because I am somewhat of a geek.
- I have recently picked up jump rope for my higher intensity cardio, and I am really enjoying it. It gives great bang for a relatively short period of time.
- I love walking, and try to get out for at least a half an hour every day.
- We are currently following the recommendations of Dr. John McDougall. It is working great, and we love it.
- All whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, no refined oils or fats.
- No supplements, I like to get everything from my food.
- I am not into high protein. Have you read T. Colin Campbells book The China Study? It has a few things to say about the problems with a high protein diet...
Also, as a career, I am a Web Geek (i.e. Internet developer, systems administrator, etc.). I spend many long days in front of a keyboard. I like to attribute my lifestyle to the fact that I have not been having any problems like Carpal Tunnel or anything like that. (If you guys here on veganbodybuilding.com need some help with web stuff, please let me know, I would love to help out!)
Anyways, I have probably said enough for now! Don't mean to talk your ear off!!!
Talk to you later!