Greetings from DC

rawenergyflow

I'm excited that Ive finally took the first step to not only making this account but introducing myself. For forum purposes we can go by my user name, and im 23 . Ive been eating a plant based diet since end of 2012. My switch was not for health reason but as an metaphysical experiment that I enjoyed the benefits off so eventually got led into the healthier aspects of it. Although Ive been eating mostly healthy ( ive changed by the season) with the summer approaching once again I'm ready to get fit, and eat a more healthy diet once again. I'm joining this site because i'm not happy with the way i look. I'm maybe 160 just skinny, slightly tone but no bulkage. I've always been lazy when it came to working out, ive been more of a tai chi, yoga guy but it's just not satisfying what i really want to do and thats to sculpt a "god body". so this is why I am here..im most humble and ready to apply the discipline needed to get to the goals I want. iI'm open to advice on where to start, cause I've never been a gym person but my goal for 2014 is to bulk up.

Hi and welcome!

My advice is set measurable goals, track your progress, and hold yourself accountable. Create a training journal in that section of the forums here and take a look at others for workout routine ideas. Some people, not me, haha, but some are very thorough on listing exercises, reps, meal plans, all of that.

Yo! Hello in DC! Grew up there....well, near Dulles airport but then moved to paradise away from traffic and crazy cost of living. But anyway...

Here to help! Not sure how plant-based eating can be 'less' healthy in the winter, but it's summer now so keep hitting your local farms markets for fresh, ideally organic, goodness!!

Depending on how tall you are, 160 could be okay or could be like scarecrow if you're like 6'6. LOL. No matter.

So...a bit more info would probably be useful to get the most help. You mention wanting sculpting and some more size. Cool. Do you plan to be joining up to a gym, working out at home, keeping up with martial arts and yoga? All can be useful to start moving towards your goals. Probably budget factors in too.

Me, haven't been to a gym in years really. Started out with some P90X, ordered some dumbbells from Walmart.com for like $50. You can buy more weights as you need. A pullup bar would be good too, maybe find some of this stuff on freecycle.com in your area.

Usual first bits of advice are to get and keep a journal, take some measurements and pics of your 'before' state -- helps w/motivation later on too when you see your awesomeness emerging.

Next, a sampling of your typical foods that you eat...

Lastly, depending on the answers to gym vs home vs combination can help with some exercise routines to get you moving!

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm...DC eh?

Whole of my family still lives there, I left shortly after college at about 26 yrs old.

I could probably cover the negatives in a pretty short list:

1) housing is expensive. Simply due to density of population. While a standard 4 br house on 1/4 acre lot in a suburb can easily top $500k, 500k in Colorado will get you a very upscale house, and a bit more land. With high property prices comes high taxes too. Based on limited research I've done in considering move to SoCal....DC area probably comparible for the housing prices. Of course the further out you live, the more you can get for the money, but....(lead in to #2)

2) Traffic is horrible. Trade off for where to live. Short commutes (depending on where you need/want to go) usually come with higher prices. Metro is expanding further out so that helps.

3) Lots of people...many not so friendly/open as I've come across in other parts of the country to include SoCal. IMO put it down to lots of 'keeping up with the Jones' and putting out appearances instead of being authentic.

4) very easy to get 'washingtonized' or politicized as much of the news is so focused...limited 'local' coverage in my recollection.

The pros...

1) lots of diversity.

2) lots to see and do in DC esp if you're not from that area.

3) beaches not too far, likewise for nature and mountains (hills really by CO standards! haha!) and woods, etc. just a few miles west/north.

4) lots of opportunity whether looking to job hop depending on your field, and lots of opportunities for vegan bodybuilding tips, training, probably even a vegan-vegetarian exclusive gym w/nutrition classes, cooking, etc..

I rarely go back. And when I do am quickly reminded why I left in the first place. Quality of life for me was better anywhere else. note: Colorado can spoil you in comparison to major parts of the country. Low cost of living, not real traffic issues (with exception of Denver during rush hours, no humidity, good temperate climate. Friendly people....but still, would consider living possibly in SoCal or Hawaii if just for a few years.....

Where abouts in DC area you thinking about?

Hmm...DC eh?

Whole of my family still lives there, I left shortly after college at about 26 yrs old.

I could probably cover the negatives in a pretty short list:

1) housing is expensive. Simply due to density of population. While a standard 4 br house on 1/4 acre lot in a suburb can easily top $500k, 500k in Colorado will get you a very upscale house, and a bit more land. With high property prices comes high taxes too. Based on limited research I've done in considering move to SoCal....DC area probably comparible for the housing prices. Of course the further out you live, the more you can get for the money, but....(lead in to #2)

2) Traffic is horrible. Trade off for where to live. Short commutes (depending on where you need/want to go) usually come with higher prices. Metro is expanding further out so that helps.

3) Lots of people...many not so friendly/open as I've come across in other parts of the country to include SoCal. IMO put it down to lots of 'keeping up with the Jones' and putting out appearances instead of being authentic.

4) very easy to get 'washingtonized' or politicized as much of the news is so focused...limited 'local' coverage in my recollection.

The pros...

1) lots of diversity.

2) lots to see and do in DC esp if you're not from that area.

3) beaches not too far, likewise for nature and mountains (hills really by CO standards! haha!) and woods, etc. just a few miles west/north.

4) lots of opportunity whether looking to job hop depending on your field, and lots of opportunities for vegan bodybuilding tips, training, probably even a vegan-vegetarian exclusive gym w/nutrition classes, cooking, etc..

I rarely go back. And when I do am quickly reminded why I left in the first place. Quality of life for me was better anywhere else. note: Colorado can spoil you in comparison to major parts of the country. Low cost of living, not real traffic issues (with exception of Denver during rush hours, no humidity, good temperate climate. Friendly people....but still, would consider living possibly in SoCal or Hawaii if just for a few years.....

Where abouts in DC area you thinking about?

OH Hey .. I'm actually gonna be in DC for a few weeks. If either of you of good hiking or running trails I would love to know!

• 3 weeks later...