Hello Everyone!!

Introduce yourself. Tell us about your training history, how long you've been vegan, share some of your goals and some of your interests.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

detroitraw
Finch

Hello Everyone!!

#1 Postby detroitraw » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:39 pm

Hello everyone!

I am very blessed to have found this community online! I would like to start off with how I found out about this lifestyle. I have ALWAYS been interested in martial arts and fitness as a child. Which did help me initially lose a lot of weight. I joined the Army after high school and noticed that no matter what I did what I ate I could not run! By the time I got out at 25 I was diagnosed with degenerative arthritis. I of course had put weight back on and the whole time I was enlisted I couldn't shed that last 20 lbs. Once I got out that 20 gradually turned into 80 lbs over weight. I began this year at 210 lbs at 5'1. I had enough! I had also decided that with all this so called info about losing weight and how it should be challenging but not impossible I should 'eat right and workout' which didn't work. I started digging and found out that I might have PCOS ( I was right). That alone will hinder weight loss. So now I know those same weight loss rules did not and could not apply to me. I'm not gonna lie the answer had been right under my nose for a while but I just couldn't give up the 'good stuff'! Finally out of shear willpower I dived into a fruit and veggie diet still eating some meat but I noticed how it makes me sick and how dairy makes my nose run while still consuming it. What I used to like makes me sick. I still fall off the wagon from time to time and I started this new path May 5th of this year and so far I have gotten down to 191 lbs without all the compulsive exercise. I just drink water, eat fruits (mainly) and veggies. I see more clearly, my knees don't hurt and I hope that once I get a little closer to my ideal weight I will be back throwing some kicks and punches in someones dojo! I am still learning to try different recipes and I would really like some advice I also still get cravings. How do you guys manage? I guess its something that might be reduced with time but here's hoping!

Again, thank you for taking the time to read my introduction! :boxer:

VeganBadass_CO
Manatee

Re: Hello Everyone!!

#2 Postby VeganBadass_CO » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:56 pm

Welcome!!!! And nice work!! Amazing still at what the Dr won't tell you or suggest other than....take this pill and come see me in a month.

Getting off the inflammation causing foods is a big step.

We all come to the lifestyle for different reasons, and some of us here are new, and others have been in it for a long time.

For your cravings, good news, about 1.5 years ago, we found a vegan group in our area on Meetup.com and that was amazing! Not only to have a support group of likeminded people, but the things they can cook!!!

Some are more purist, don't care for the meat alternatives nor things that are all plant-based but still taste like meat. Others, grown up as omnivoirs can still appreciate a good fajita or (pretty much name it, there's a way to make it plant based!). Should help with the cravings, and when you might stumble...don't beat yourself up much...sounds like your body will do that for you... :wink:

We've a lot of tried and tested recipes, so if there is a favorite you like, post it up, and we'll try to help.....

And there's a certain smile that comes from doing MMA and Krav Maga with many younger than me....MORE than keeping up and being plant powered....just sayin'..

C.O.
VBB Moderator

Re: Hello Everyone!!

#3 Postby C.O. » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:18 pm

Awesome Detroit! Welcome. Glad you found us!

Return to “Introductions”