Hi everyone, obviously I'm new here with just one post

Jainarayan

Hi all...

I joined up because I'm looking for advice, to learn things, support, encouragement, edumacation, and all those things.

First I have to say I'm not currently vegetarian, though I don't eat anything with fur, hair or mammary glands (I don't say nipples because platypuses don't have nipples but they're still mammals). I probably won't go full vegan, but my goal is to become at least lacto-ovo veg. I hope that doesn't disqualify me from being a member.

So here's what's about me. I'm going to throw it against the wall and see what sticks as far as opinions...

Male, 57 years old, height 5'5", weight 199, body fat ~25-28% +/-, weight lifter, Italian-American convert to Hinduism. Even before adopting Hinduism I toyed with the idea of becoming vegetarian for the ethical reasons. I carry most of my fat in my midsection, insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome.

I follow Weight Watchers Simply Filling Technique. Basically you can eat as much of the "power foods" (lean protein, whole grains, legumes, fruits, vegs.) to the point of being satisfied, without counting points. It's really just the typical healthy fitness/bodybuilding diet. What points do get counted are the non-power foods, which have a weekly allotment. It's actually a pretty neat system.

My goal is to get to 175 lbs and ~14% body fat as a first step. At another site someone brought to my attention the Indian World Champion wrestler Sushil Kumar. He took silver at the London 2012 Olympics. I don't know if I can post links, so I'll just put his name for anyone to Google. He is 5'5" and 146 lbs, probably about 12% body fat. Now, my goal is not wrestling but being 5'5" myself I don't see why, by committing fully to my diet and workouts, I can't drop the weight I'm carrying to get to ~150-160 lbs.

So... I guess I'd like tips, tricks, techniques, critiques, or anything anyone has to offer.

Shubham astu (cheers, best wishes).