Hello from Scotland

Freddybrek1

Hi there,

My name is Samantha and I am 39 years old, living in Scotland. I've been vegitarian for about 5 years and vegan for the last year. I've been a hobby bodybuilder for as many years but am training seriously for a competition in June next year. I work full time on shifts so like many of you, eating and training isn't easy to fit in to a schedule.

I'm an ethical vegan but lately (don't hate me) fell into the realm of eating eggs as a handy way of getting my protein. However I've only been doing this for a month but am keen to remove them again.

I use Soya protein and everything is home made with protein in mind (seitan, tofu, chick peas etc etc).

Can anyone suggest (UK wise) an alternative that is quick easy but without the moral guilt?

Thanks so much

Samantha

Hi Samantha,

I don't live in the UK, however in the off-chance this applies, here goes for protein suggestions:

-Adding nuts/peanuts to cereal/salads or taking them plain

-A protein powder (looks like Vega is sold on this site)

-Green peas, lentils, pinto beans

-Spirulina

-Quinoa

To save time, I make a big batch of quinoa or legumes and eat it over the course of several days, and prepare baggies of peanuts/pumpkin seeds, etc. to take as snacks. I also use reusable sandwich bags for the nuts, which cuts down on environmental guilt. Rich Roll also wrote an article on protein; I think someone posted it recently, but here it is again: http://www.richroll.com/nutrition/slaying-the-protein-myth/

Hope this helps & good luck on your competition!

-AnotherHuman

I believe the UK has a supplement store similar to my countries www.bulknutrients.com.au , i have seen it mentioned before, but i'm not exactly sure what the link is

i'm fairly sure they sell unflavored rice/pea protein, it's not too palatable on its own, i find the best way to get it down is in a banana smoothie, which is quite nice

--

just googled it, i think this is the site i've seen mentioned

http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/shop-by-range/pure-series/brown-rice-protein-80.html

http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/super-pea-protein-isolate.html

if you do order from them, i'd buy one each of rice and pea protein, and combine them

Hi Samantha, welcome to the community here! I've been to Edinborough (but i cant spell it). It was amazing. My sister got frightened to death when she heard a dog that no one else heard in the under the castle ghost tour, and the guide said later that many people often see a ghost dog down there haha.

I would search some key words using the search button in the upper right hand corner to see what has been discussed before related to what you are interested in like alternative protein sources to eggs.

Hi again,

Thanks for the comments again. I don't live too far from Edinburgh and my partner and I usually do one of the ghost tours each year.

I already use a soya protein for my shakes. As of today I have ditched the eggs and am going to rely on home made lentil and bean burgers and sausages to get my protein. This is what I did before but eggs started to become a bit too handy. So no!!

It's amazing when you ask non vegan body builders for advice because they seem to run for the hills when you start to talk nutrition. This can be done. I CAN do this.

Thanks again