2 months in WFPBD

Eiji

2 months in on a whole foods plant based diet. I went cold tofu from getting my protein from about 1lb of meat or fish, 1/2 dozen or so eggs, and a few whey protein servings per day to beans, lentils, tofu and greens as my main sources. I was eating extremely clean prior to the switch all I had to do was stop eating meat and eggs and eat more of the other stuff I was already eating. Although I have to say that the increased intake of beans and lentils is making me bloated and super gassy

Ill be hitting 40 next month and have been training for the last 3 yrs in calisthenics, powerlifting, and some running. Last year I was 198 lbs DL was 475, squat was 375, bench was 250 and I had abs so BF was probably around 12-15

I am 5'11" and currently 185 lbs. My training right now is 3 full body workouts per week consisting of:

4 sets of Wall supported Handstand push ups or piked HSPU on the rings

4 sets of assisted one arm chins (I have a piece of webbing attached to the bar that I grab about 12" down from the bar with my other hand)

4 sets of 3 reps Deadlift at 315lb

I do one set of each exercise with about 30-60 secs between for four rounds.

Ring dips

Pull ups

1 set of each with about 60 sec between for 3-4 rounds.

Push ups

Ring row

1 set of each with 60 sec rest for 2 rounds.

Abs

hanging legs raises, front lever work, or standing ab wheel rollouts

I have been feeling pretty darn good on the new diet but...I seem to be adding BF and losing definition around my abs. this totally blows me away since I thought I was supposed to get leaner on a whole foods plant based diet. I am also loosing work capacity and recovery ability. progress has ground to a halt and Im feeling weak halfway into the workout or even sometimes at the begining of the workout. Prior to going to a plant based diet I was doing 2 day split push and pull day with much more volume and intensity with good progress and excellent stamina. What gives?

Typical days diet:

AM smoothie

banana, 1 cup spinach, 3/4 cup mango, 3/4 raspberries or blueberries, 1 tbsp ground flax, rice milk or almond milk, 1 tsp amla, maca, 1tbsp vegan protein (pea/rice), 2 dates

mid morning smoothie

same as above minus flax and amla

workout

post workout

2 cups ricemilk with 20g vegan protein(MRM)

Lunch

2 sandwiches Ezekiel bread with avocado, brocolli sprouts, cucumber

pm snacks

fruits 2-3 servings

1 cup quinoa or rice

Dinner

massive green salad with different greens (lettuce, spinach, kale), broccoli sprouts, almonds, citrus fruits

lentil or bean curry at least 2 cups with brown rice or fried rice with tofu, soy beans, peas, corn, brown rice

I may have other snacks like pumpkin seeds, walnuts, and dates

I supplement b-12 with 2000 mcg every couple of days and take an algae omega 3 sup daily

I was expecting improved performance and recovery ability but am getting neither. I am getting enough to each I think since my bf levels are going up. losing strength and work capacity is bothersome though as I really have to up my training in the next 2 months in preparation for a fire academy.

Glad you found some help. I was just reading through the first post when I saw the update. LOL. Workout routine gave me some ideas to add into my mix for variety.

Not sure what kind of functional kind of things you can add (thinking like crossfit stuff) to help you rock it when you get to fire academy...thinking of things like carrying heavy duffle bag while running stairs, etc to simulate carrying someone out of a fire, etc?

I was top recruit at my last academy and the workout that helped me the most was what I coined the 2 min drill.

I set my watch timer to repeat automatically every 2:00 min.

Start the watch

20 push ups then run till the beeper

20 4 count flutter kicks then run till the beep

20 air squats then run till the beep

Repeat for 8-9 rounds for 48-54 min of continuous pt

20 reps of each got easy so I bumped it to 25, then 30, then 35. I was doing this in the heat of the day and in full sweats. I had a modified version to do with a breathing apparatus leaving out the flutter kicks.

IMO "functional" exercise doesnt add much if you are training the way you need too. For example burpees are a functional exercise but I don't need to do them if I can do 80 push ups and can run a 6min mile. If I can do those and you can't I will smoke you at burpees all day long no matter how many burpees you have done before but burpees wil not get u a 6 min mile and 80 push-ups. Many traditional exercises are much more functional than so called functional exercise.