Loss weight and build muscle as a Vegan?

Tundrabunny

Hi, I'm turning 53 this year and am in bad shape. I have been a vegetarian for 6 years but my diet has not been the best. I want to build muscle as well as lose 15 pounds. It seems that the majority of the in shape vegans I read about ate meat for many years and were already in good shape when they went vegan. Is it possible to start basically from scratch - with little muscle - and get in shape eating a healthy vegan diet? Everyone I know says you have to eat meat to build muscle. I really want to prove them wrong.

Hey my man, i think a fast sounds like what you need to start things off with a frickn bang. Either a juice fast which i find to give me headaches after a few days or a pure water fast which i find alot more cleansing, I can safely say if you do it right. You can have 5-7 kgs of fat burnt off you per week. You cant do any fitness of any sort. I like to start of with juice and phase into spring water after a day or two. Id aim for a 3 day fast to start with. Because it does take alot of mental strength and i mean alot. Do some research and see if your up for it mate :

Bless

Most people are not able to build and lose at the same time.. Pitting catabolism vs anabolism doesn't normally work. However as someone just starting out with exercise/lifting you may be at an advantage - check out this article:

http://muscleevo.net/lose-fat-gain-muscle/

I don't think being vegan will change anything just make sure you are eating quality whole foods... cut out any processed and refined products. Make sure you supplement with b12 and if you are male you may wish to take an occasional zinc supplement as low levels of zinc will decrease testosterone.