Hello, Vegan Candidate Here

sbonn

Hello

Not sure if I'm an appropriate audience for this forum, but since it seems mostly positive I'm hoping I'll be allowed to lurk on the edge.

I was vegan for five years as teenage athlete and now as an adult in my thirties, I'm decidedly non-athletic, riddled with health problems, and question myself every time I put an animal product in my mouth. I see vegetarians and vegans at work and find myself considering returning to veganism more and more.

So I'm taking the plunge. I hope to learn lots from you all and to improve my health. I have a considerable amount of weight to lose - I'm in the 100+ club.

Question for all you veterans out there: If I wanted to stick to a 1200 calorie diet distributed 50-30-20 carbs-fat-protein, but was sensitive to a limited time and financial resources, what might you recommend? I'm happily simplistic, I can eat the same thing every day without too much dissatisfaction.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!!!! More to come tomorrow...gotta get to bed as almost midnight.

Boards mysteriously quiet lately, but I'll help!! till tomorrow...

Your carbs/fat/protein ratios ring as a macro-phile (my own word!), but it's good...a helpful bit of info would be to know your ultimate objectives? Weight gain/loss/sustain with improvements in health, etc.....and what is your current fitness project?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry for not responding sooner! Things got so busy at work that I forgot I even posted until I checked my personal email for the first time in over a month.

Rather than a macrophile (it's a great word!), I'm a -- balance-phile? I'm big into just keeping things simple and well-balanced with a preferable positive outcome.

My immediate goal is to lose weight, but it's a lot of weight to lose and will take a year or more. I have weight- and probably diet-related issues, too, that will hopefully clean up with weight loss and a lifestyle change. My ultimate goal is to feel healthy, clean, balanced, and at peace with my footprint in the world.