Good Evening from Sirdle!

sirdle

The results I get from mybodycomp.com are 9.45% and from Covert Bailey's formula, I get 11.8%. I know which one I like better

sirdle, when you go to mybodycomp.com, login, click on "My Body", you should see a list of saved reports. Click on one of them to see your body composition. Does that work for you? I didn't have to pay anything to get this basic service for free. I would have to pay for anything else though...

Thanks Brenden.

------------------------------------------------

Kollision: yeah, the measurements are entered in inches. I don't know what Gunter's measurements are, but let's suppose they were 40" waist, 44" hips, 15" forearms, and 8" wrist. Using the formula that would be:

40 + (0.5 x 44) - (3 x 15) - 8 = 9% body fat

There is no reason why these numbers must work. And for some people they don't. The person who came up with these formulas spent his life working with people who were overweight. The average male that he tested was 22% and the average female was 32%. Then he just played with the numbers until he got a correlation. I think that he had limited contact with really healthy people and so I would guess the formulas become more inaccurate the lower your body fat % is.

dtougas got different numbers from mybodycomp.com. I would guess that his numbers are more accurate because they use more body measurements.

If I were a personal trainer at a gym, dealing with people who are new to fitness. I might give them these formulas as a way that they could trace their progress on a week-to-week basis. But for people who are already in shape, another method is probably needed.

-------------------------------------------------------

dtougas: yeah I got it now. All I saw was the list of measurements I had just entered. I didn't see any buttons to press, but when I clicked on the report name, the report came up.

It said I was 26% . I think I'll ask at the gym and see if they have a set of calipers. That way I can check and see which of these methods is more accurate.

If I were a personal trainer at a gym, dealing with people who are new to fitness. I might give them these formulas as a way that they could trace their progress on a week-to-week basis. But for people who are already in shape, another method is probably needed.

So do you just take it as you would with normal measurements? Or do you tighten it?

I am not really sure how to take "normal" measurements. The mybodycomp.com website gives instructions on how to take the measurements for their formula and they are different than the instructions for Bailey's formula. For example, in Bailey's formula, the calf, thigh, bicep, and forearm measurements are taken with the muscle flexed, but at mybodycomp.com the muscles are relaxed. Also, the location of the hips and waist measurements are different.

Waist: mybodycomp.com wants this measurement taken at the narrowest point, probably close to the ribs (I am not sure where this point would be as I don't have any narrow spots), whereas Bailey wants this measurement taken lower, at the widest part, probably around the belly button.

Hips: mybodycomp.com wants this measurement taken up near the top of the hipbone. Bailey wants this taken lower, around the buttocks and the hips, passing around the pubic area (or, if you are a man, slightly higher than the pubic are to avoild any... ah... obstructions).

Hope this helps. I'd be interested to see what results you get. If it is in the right ballpark or whether these formulas are totally off.

BTW I have an appointment with a personal trainer on Wednesday. We are going to use the calipers so I can compare the results I got from these different methods... I'll keep you posted... and we'll go over my form for the lifts that I am doing.

I love this stuff! Thanks for all your comments everybody.