Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:38 am 
Rabbit

I am not really sure how to take "normal" measurements. The mybodycomp.com website gives instructions on how to take the measurements for their formula and they are different than the instructions for Bailey's formula. For example, in Bailey's formula, the calf, thigh, bicep, and forearm measurements are taken with the muscle flexed, but at mybodycomp.com the muscles are relaxed. Also, the location of the hips and waist measurements are different.

Waist: mybodycomp.com wants this measurement taken at the narrowest point, probably close to the ribs (I am not sure where this point would be as I don't have any narrow spots), whereas Bailey wants this measurement taken lower, at the widest part, probably around the belly button.

Hips: mybodycomp.com wants this measurement taken up near the top of the hipbone. Bailey wants this taken lower, around the buttocks and the hips, passing around the pubic area (or, if you are a man, slightly higher than the pubic are to avoild any... ah... obstructions).

Hope this helps. I'd be interested to see what results you get. If it is in the right ballpark or whether these formulas are totally off.

BTW I have an appointment with a personal trainer on Wednesday. We are going to use the calipers so I can compare the results I got from these different methods... I'll keep you posted... and we'll go over my form for the lifts that I am doing.

I love this stuff! Thanks for all your comments everybody.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:06 pm 
Elephant

Thanks a lot for the explanation sirdle. This seems way harder as the measurements can sometimes fluctuate, but all in all sound sgood if you said its off 2+/-. Since I have neither a tape measure or a caliper, think I should settle for both haha.