... And to think this all started with being vegan as a 2 week experiment

Semaj R

What's going on everyone, my name is Semaj.

As I'm typing this there are a range of emotions going through my body (Excitement to have found a community of like-minded individuals who I can hopefully inspire and who can provide insightful feedback and support, some fear of the unknown and of changing old habits that may no longer serve me, and an anxiousness to get started).

This is my introduction post (my first time ever writing in the Vegan Bodybuilding forum), so with that being said I'm going to give you all a brief personal background as well as what I'm looking for in being here:

I first started working out when I was around 18, but I wasn't serious about working out, my health, and definitely not my nutrition...

To be honest the only reason I wanted to workout was because I wanted to get more muscular so that I could look good in front of girls; this motivation did not carry me far haha

Fast forward some years after a lot of off and on working out I started to get a lot more serious about my training (my motivation changed as well to something more sustainable - training for the love of training itself and for progression), and I took a very strong liking to calisthenics (bodyweight strength training)

Because I was experimenting with my exercises and routines, I decided that I would do the same with my nutrition to see how it affected my performance. I decided to cut back on chicken (I had given up beef when I was 12 and I was also raised to not eat pork); surprisingly I felt better and my energy was up, so I started cutting back more and more. It was pretty easy to let go of turkey because I was only eating it on holidays anyway, and pretty soon I was off all poultry. The only meat I was eating was fish

As of Friday last week (July 21st), I decided to try out a vegan plant-based diet as an experiment, yet again, to see how it will affect my performance; I actually made a short video explaining why I'm doing this and what I expect to gain from it which you can see below.

This leads me to the present day, where I come to you all for support as there is so much that I do not know.

This would probably be a good time to talk about my current fitness goals and to also state that I have fallen back significantly on my training as I left "life get in the way", so I'm actually using this to get back into training, but hopefully this time with a lot more guidance.

Okay, okay, I'll get into my goals already...

Current fitness goals

• I currently weigh 159 lbs; I want to go up in weight to about 170lbs (Preferably making a sizeable difference in my legs)

I want to increase my strength in general and for gymnastic elements such as the front lever, handstand push up, and muscle up

In addition to raw power and strength, I want to build high levels of muscle endurance (For example: A goal of mine is to be able to do 40 consecutive strict form pull ups. The max I've ever performed at my peak of fitness was 37)

And lastly, I want to do all of this while making nutrition and training decisions that will positively affect my long term health

Conclusion

I don't know where this journey will take me, and I don't even know the steps to achieve many of my goals, but I do know that I am committed to learning, I'm committed to making progress, and I'm committed to finding solutions.

I hope that I have given you all a glimpse into who I am and what my goals are. There will be much more to come, and I look forward to meeting you all too