Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hello hello
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:15 pm 
Rabbit

My name is Tim, I'm 25 years young and I'm from all-but-exciting Upstate NY. I have been vegan for 6 years now and over a year and a half ago I took up running (it's sort of a family tradition). Last summer I ran my first 15k and then a 20k about a month later. During the 20k I pulled my groin about halfway through the race and finished dead last in my age group (literally limping over the finish line...how embarrassing!). So I stopped running through the fall and over the winter and I became lazy and super out of shape. So this summer I started running again and also wanted to increase my muscle mass and strength so I started to work out a few days a week and I'm feeling much stronger and more energetic.

More recently I have started combining my running training (avg. 3.5miles/day) with riding my bike about 10-15 miles as well, which has helped build my legs and give me more strength for running too. My constant goal is working towards being less skinny and increasing my strength (currently 5'11" @ 123.5lbs), and in summer of '07 I am going to complete my first triatholon...gotta aim high!

Happy to be here with other awesome vegans,
Tim

p.s. Almost forgot to list some of my hobbies and passions so here they are: I love birding, appreciating the natural world, playing music (guitar), listening to: hiphop, jazz, punk and metal. I am interested in documetaries and indy movies (who isn't?), zmagazine, and I am also a huge Noam Chomsky fan. : )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome Tim!

Great to have you here! We are excited to see you and hope that you enjoy the forum and meet awesome people here.

All the best and welcome aboard!

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:40 pm 
Elephant

Welcome :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:51 pm 
Rabbit

hi there and welcome :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:59 pm 
Stegosaurus

Hola! Where in upstate NY? I'm not far from a lot of parts of NY considered "Upstate".

"Look at what a green thumb this guy has, he just throws plants in water and they root!"
- A good friend talking about my basil cuttings

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:37 am 
Elephant

Hello & Welcome! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:24 am 
Elephant

Hi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:14 am 
Elephant

Odidnetne wrote:
Hola! Where in upstate NY? I'm not far from a lot of parts of NY considered "Upstate".

Yeah, I was wondering, too. I grew up mostly in Poughkeepsie, with a couple years in Saugerties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:26 am 
Elephant

Welcome ! :D

No human can call themselves liberal or radical or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if they contribute in any way to the pain and suffering of other beings.

http://www.myspace.com/cjdcrash

Post subject: Re: Hello hello
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:48 pm 
Elephant

damer wrote:
listening to: hiphop, jazz, punk and metal.

What a strange combination :?
Welcome aboard!

http://www.david-schulz.com
Life Science
Got Milk?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:17 pm 
Welcome and good luck with the Triathlons...what distance triathlons are you interested in???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:17 pm 
Rabbit

Quote:
Where in upstate NY? I'm not far from a lot of parts of NY considered "Upstate".

I'm from the Upstate section of NY also known as Western New York, which most people up here refer to as "Upstate" which is probably incorrect...ha. I live close to Rochester.

I do have a strange taste in music I suppose too. I grew up listening to mainly punk, hardcore and metal but at about 18 or 19 I started to become addicted to underground hiphop and also started listening to more jazz. My mother is a retired voice and piano teacher and I grew up playing guitar and drums so I learned an appreciation for different forms of music I suppose rather than being latched onto one genre. I also enjoy classical and music from the 40's, which is probably strange for somebody my age as well. : )

To answer the triatholon question, I am shooting to do a sprint not far from where I live which involves: .5m S/12m B/5K R.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:57 pm 
Elephant

damer wrote:
I'm from the Upstate section of NY also known as Western New York, which most people up here refer to as "Upstate" which is probably incorrect...ha. I live close to Rochester.

It seems to me that people tend to use "Upstate" to mean every part of NY state other than NY city, 'cause if you just say you are from NY, people tend to assume you mean the city.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:58 pm 
Sounds good...just make sure you get lots of long rides in to save your legs for running...as for the music thing I look like an old far too since I listen almost exclusively to motown music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:01 pm 
Stegosaurus

FormicaLinoleum wrote:
Odidnetne wrote:

Yeah, I was wondering, too. I grew up mostly in Poughkeepsie, with a couple years in Saugerties.

Exactly, I used to go to Poughkeepsie quite often last year, I'm only about 40 minutes away right over the bridge in PA on Rt. 84.

"Look at what a green thumb this guy has, he just throws plants in water and they root!"
- A good friend talking about my basil cuttings