Greetings from Richmond, Virginia!

Introduce yourself. Tell us about your training history, how long you've been vegan, share some of your goals and some of your interests.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Paul Messplay
Rabbit

Greetings from Richmond, Virginia!

#1 Postby Paul Messplay » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:13 pm

Heyy everyone, my name is Paul. I'm 18 and have been vegan for four years. When I first started out I was not very concerned with the nutrition aspect of veganism but more so the environmental and ethical sides. It wasn't until this past year that I really started to focus on exercise and nutrition. Over the past month I've weeded out refined sugars, high fructose corn syrup, and fried foods which has been a huge step for me considering I'm stuck eating cafeteria style food 2-3 times a day.

I'm currently a freshman at Virginia Commonwealth University and am an Int'l Studies and Business major. When I tell people around campus that I'm vegan they often have a seemingly puzzled look on their face. I enjoy breaking down the frail, malnourished image some people have of vegans and over the course of the year I plan on breaking down that image even more!

jonzen
Manatee

#2 Postby jonzen » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:29 am

Nice to meet you Paul!

It's great to know that you are dealing with the same issues. Sounds to me like you are doing a fine job too! Congratulations on cutting the sugar and corn syrups and fried food! Bravo man!

As they say, Welcome Aboard!

John

offense74
Elephant

#3 Postby offense74 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:48 am

Welcome Paul :D
The surest road to happiness is low expectations.

Odidnetne
Stegosaurus

#4 Postby Odidnetne » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:26 am

Welcome!

Getting rid of high fructose corn syrup made me look like a starving child after about a month, I seriously believe it's one of the biggest problems in weight loss.
www.facebook.com/OhDid

"Look at what a green thumb this guy has, he just throws plants in water and they root!"
- A good friend talking about my basil cuttings

flanders77
Elephant

#5 Postby flanders77 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:05 pm

Welcome Paul!

Odidnetne wrote:Getting rid of high fructose corn syrup made me look like a starving child after about a month, I seriously believe it's one of the biggest problems in weight loss.

I think on the one hand you of course need to consume enough calories. On the other hand, going (more) raw will always make you lose weight – ask BigBoy.
Bigbwii wrote:The force is strong on the fruity side.....

http://www.david-schulz.com
Life Science
Got Milk?

loveliberate
Elephant

#6 Postby loveliberate » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:12 pm

Hello & Welcome Paul! :D

robert
Site Admin

#7 Postby robert » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:25 pm

Welcome Paul!

I know we have a number of forum members in your area! That is the great thing about this forum expanding and getting bigger. There are lots and lots of cities with multiple forum members, some cities have over a dozen people just from this online group!

Thanks for joining our forum. We hope you have a great time and meet lots of cool people. We have lots of info too, so enjoy reading.

All the best and welcome aboard!

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Chalisa
Rabbit

Hi Paul!

#8 Postby Chalisa » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:26 pm

Chalisa (newby)
Last edited by Chalisa on Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chalisa
Rabbit

Oops, Hi Paul

#9 Postby Chalisa » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:28 pm

Hi Paul,

It is great to meet you.

Thanks,
Chalisa

michaelhobson
Elephant

Re: Greetings from Richmond, Virginia!

#10 Postby michaelhobson » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:44 pm

Paul Messplay wrote:When I tell people around campus that I'm vegan they often have a seemingly puzzled look on their face.

What? You're talking to the wrong people, VCU may as well be called Vegan Commonwealth University, there are tons of vegans. Check out Panda Veg or The Nancy Raygun on a Saturday night and you'll find wall to wall vegans. Good luck and if all else fails email Veganpotter on here, he goes to VCU. He's an okay guy I guess, if you can't find any other vegan friens. :lol:

Paul Messplay
Rabbit

#11 Postby Paul Messplay » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:33 pm

michaelhobson wrote:
Paul Messplay wrote:When I tell people around campus that I'm vegan they often have a seemingly puzzled look on their face.

What? You're talking to the wrong people, VCU may as well be called Vegan Commonwealth University, there are tons of vegans. Check out Panda Veg or The Nancy Raygun on a Saturday night and you'll find wall to wall vegans. Good luck and if all else fails email Veganpotter on here, he goes to VCU. He's an okay guy I guess, if you can't find any other vegan friens. :lol:

I guess what I was implying with that statement was not that people haven't heard of veganism or that there aren't any vegans on campus, but rather people have some weird image of some skinny, frail kid.

michaelhobson
Elephant

#12 Postby michaelhobson » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:26 pm

Paul Messplay wrote:I guess what I was implying with that statement was not that people haven't heard of veganism or that there aren't any vegans on campus, but rather people have some weird image of some skinny, frail kid.

:lol: Yeah, being 6'4" and 235+ pounds, I get that one sometimes too!

joelbct
Manatee

#13 Postby joelbct » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:43 pm

Hey, welcome-

And here's to breaking down those misconceptions and lies about plant-based diets-

-Joel

CollegeB
Elephant

#14 Postby CollegeB » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:35 pm

I got accepted at VCU, maybe I should have gone there since it has so many vegans. Here there are so very few, but people suprisingly know what a vegan is...

Paul Messplay
Rabbit

#15 Postby Paul Messplay » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:04 pm

CollegeB, did you hear about Earth Crisis's reunion show?! :shock:

Return to “Introductions”