Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hello from Illinois
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:03 am 
Elephant

Hi, I am a college student here in DeKalb, Illinois. I have been a vegan for about four months and am loving it; I finally feel good about myself. For awhile I have been reading these forums and finally decided to go ahead and say hello. I am interested in bodybuilding and to a lesser extent cycling (cold weather steals my motivation, and it is hard to rekindle it completely every spring). I hope to get to know you all and learn some stuff about bodybuilding as a vegan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:01 am 
Elephant

Hello & Welcome to the forums! :D It seems like we've had a lot of folks from IL active here lately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:39 am 
Elephant

Hey cubby - welcome! What kind of cycling do you do (road, mtb?)?
I hear ya on cycling in the cold weather. I mostly mt bike, and I usually just head for the hills when it's real cold. Nothing like a long climb to warm you up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:59 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Cubby, welcome to the group!

We have quite a few members from your State. I'm sure at least a dozen or so are from Illinois.

I hope you have fun on the forum. Thanks for introducing yourself and we look forward to hearing more from you.

All the best and welcome aboard!

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:36 pm 
Elephant

Thanks for the welcome. Most of the cycling I do is split between using a mountain bike to move about town or a recreational ride along trails.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:44 pm 
I couldn't imagine having to ride up there...I ride every day(pretty much) and the cold days I ride may be in the low 20s but maybe that was the case 4-5 times last winter...most of the coldest winter days have highs in the lower 40s which is cold enough for me to whine like a baby...you'd probably sweat your butt off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:04 pm 
Manatee

Awesome- I am relatively new to veganism (tho a vegetarian for about 2 years), and am loving it as well, and I seem to be actually putting on weight with the workouts. I carry a VeganBodybuilding.com flyer for whenever people ask me why/how I decided to go vegan!

-Joel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:04 pm 
Elephant

That is a really good idea; I never thought to bring flyers along with me for those questions. I may begin to do that now. I have managed to gain muscle and lose weight while being vegan so far; I am quite happy with the diet.

The metric system is socialized measurment. If you implement it it will only be a matter of time before your grandma will stand in front of a death panel being forced to deny the existance of baby Jesus.

-offense74

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:09 am 
Elephant

Welcome cubby :)

Great that you have lost weight and gained muscle :)

About bodybuildingas a vegan: i think it's not different to bb as an omni, only that you don't need to stuff yourself with dead animals ;) The training is the same.

Have fun on the forum,
Daywalker 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:44 am 
Elephant

Goovy, another person from IL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

Daywalker wrote:
Welcome cubby :)

Great that you have lost weight and gained muscle :)

About bodybuildingas a vegan: i think it's not different to bb as an omni, only that you don't need to stuff yourself with dead animals ;) The training is the same.

Have fun on the forum,
Daywalker 8)

Exactly. The training is the same, the only thing different is the types of foods we eat. The actual caloric breakdown can often be pretty similar too, we're just getting our nutrients from higher quality, fresher sources :)

Joel......I also like the idea of keeping a vegan bodybuilding flyer nearby because it shows off physiques of Alexander Dargatz, Kristopher Flannery, Denise Nicole, Robert Cheeke and others.

Train Hard Eat Plenty

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:53 pm 
I agree...I already had alot of muscle when I went vegan but when I went vegan I think I gained maybe 5lbs of muscle(it wasn't a goal of mine...just a result of training) but I got considerably stronger in a very short period of time....which was far more important to me than gaining weight when I was training

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:09 pm 
Elephant

At first when I was thinking about the move to vegan, I was reluctant for fear of not being able to build muscle. Then I saw pictures of Dargatz on the frontpage of this site and found that it is possible to build muscle as a vegan; this helped immensely in my decision to become vegan. So, yeah, I think seeing the physiques of some vegan builders may be very helpful in converting some people.

The metric system is socialized measurment. If you implement it it will only be a matter of time before your grandma will stand in front of a death panel being forced to deny the existance of baby Jesus.

-offense74

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:31 pm 
I definately agree...there aren't enough big vegans out there...I really hate the fact that I got hurt for the final time and gave up lifting to pursue cycling since I'd be a much better spokesperson for veganism if I were still over 300lbs...now I just have to perform well to speak out but its not so hard to advocate veganism as an endurance athlete since the general public thinks vegans are all skinny...which in reality everyone should be fairly thin unless there is a purpose behind they're size

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:48 pm 
Elephant

I am thinking of making becoming as big as I can one of my goals. My frame isn't very big, I am only 5'10", but since I am only twenty and started lifting seriously almost a year ago, I am hoping that I will still be able to get some decent mass. I would just love to be as big as some of the steak and potatoes guys at the gym and be asked about my nutrition progam and be able to shock people by telling them a vegan diet. I definitely want to help to break the stereotype of skinny vegans. I have surprised my friends so far by keeping up with them in gains at the gym.

-offense74