Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:45 am 
Elephant

@clsupnorth: Great to have you here! I also had a few problems with my partner during the transition towords veganism (and she is ovo-lacto!). But to me it comes down to the following: The only person to decide what I put in my mouth is me.

@all the nice members: After www-free weekends I love to take a look at all your postings especially when you welcome new members with so many positive emotions :D

http://www.david-schulz.com
Life Science
Got Milk?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:21 am 
Stegosaurus

Welcome to the forums.

"Look at what a green thumb this guy has, he just throws plants in water and they root!"
- A good friend talking about my basil cuttings

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:59 pm 
Manatee

Sorry to ask, but I have no clue what these shortcuts mean:

DH
MIL
FIL
WTH
AB
J/K
OL

And what is a NSCA-CPT exam?

Can you educate me :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:48 pm 
Elephant

Welcome ! 8)

No human can call themselves liberal or radical or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if they contribute in any way to the pain and suffering of other beings.

http://www.myspace.com/cjdcrash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:13 pm 
Elephant

K-oz wrote:

DH
MIL
FIL
WTH
AB
J/K
OL

K-oz, i guess the abbrevations mean this:
DH - either "dear husband" or the initials of cls' dear husband i guess :)
MIL - Mother in law
FIL - father in law
WTH - Why the hell
AB - Alberta, Canada, where cls is from
J/K - joking
OL - Olympic lifter/lifting/lifts = olympic weightlifting = clean & jerk + snatch.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:34 pm 
Manatee

Daywalker wrote:

That is funny, another German tells me what these english shortcuts mean :lol:

Thanks daywalker :)
Now all makes much more sence ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:42 pm 
Rabbit

Daywalker wrote:
K-oz wrote:

DH
MIL
FIL
WTH
AB
J/K
OL

DH - either "dear husband" or the initials of cls' dear husband i guess :)
MIL - Mother in law
FIL - father in law
WTH - Why the hell
AB - Alberta, Canada, where cls is from
J/K - joking
OL - Olympic lifter/lifting/lifts = olympic weightlifting = clean & jerk + snatch.

:)

Sorry... I obviously spend WAY too much time on internet forums because of the abbreviation abuse. At least I don't talk like that in real life... yet. K-oz explained them right. DH is definately Dear husband.. j/k I use for just kidding. Saves typing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:35 am 
Manatee

clsupnorth wrote:
K-oz explained them right. DH is definately Dear husband.. j/k I use for just kidding. Saves typing.
Oh, Daywalker did. All I did was asking ;-)
But now I know, and it is faster typing. I'll use what I can from now on too :-D
DH and FIL and MIL is not valid for me though :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:28 pm 
Rabbit

K-oz wrote:
clsupnorth wrote:
K-oz explained them right. DH is definately Dear husband.. j/k I use for just kidding. Saves typing.
Oh, Daywalker did. All I did was asking ;-)
But now I know, and it is faster typing. I'll use what I can from now on too :-D
DH and FIL and MIL is not valid for me though :lol:

Cool - I forgot to answer about the NSCA-CPT. It's the National Sports Conditioning Association - Certified Personal Trainer.
http://www.nsca-cc.org/
There are lots of personal trainer certs out there (ACE, IFPA, NSCA, National/regional ones), but the NSCA is the most comprehensive, difficult one around. It's also recognized worldwide. You study for the exam for what seems like forever, and then go write it at specified sitting each year. It's very hard to pass, and it's like 3 hrs long.
My goal is to use my nursing and personal training for cardiac rehabilitation and helping unwell clients to get started being fit/nutritious, but my MAIN goal is to train and prepare competitors. So along with the nursing, studying for the NSCA, I'm also getting my provincial personal training cert. I find that while the NSCA is most prestigious and 'better', many local gyms still want you to have the provincial certification... so I'm doing both.

My hubbie is american, so if I ever want to go live/work in the states, the NSCA is recognized everywhere, whereas my provincial one wouldn't be. So it's a win/win.

Hope that explained it better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:43 pm 
Manatee

Hey there, welcome to the forum!

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts. - Bertrand Russell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:47 pm 
Manatee

clsupnorth wrote:

Yeah, it perfectly does :-)
So you have made a major turn in your life. Not only have you gotten yourself in great shape and ready for competition, but also are you are changing your profecion. Or will you be doing that aside? Have you been doing something with nutrition or training before?
Have you been on your own while you were training and "transforming"? :bodybuilding:

If you tell me what a "hubbie" is, I am completely happy :-)

The clueless K-oz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:53 pm 
Elephant

K-oz wrote:

A husband! ;) :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:50 am 
Rabbit

K-oz wrote:
clsupnorth wrote:

Yeah, it perfectly does :-)
So you have made a major turn in your life. Not only have you gotten yourself in great shape and ready for competition, but also are you are changing your profecion. Or will you be doing that aside? Have you been doing something with nutrition or training before?
Have you been on your own while you were training and "transforming"? :bodybuilding:

The clueless K-oz

You've never heard anyone refer to their 'hubbie' before? I thought that would be an easy one! :)

Profession changes: Yes. I've worked in the veterinary field for the last 9 years. Not happy with it. I've always had a huge interest in nutrition/health, and I finally decided that the perfect career would be one that revolves around my passions. I come from a long line of herbalists, aromatherapists (I'm one too), vegetarians, and various health minded people. It's in my blood.

And yes, I've been alone during my 'transformation'. I just started doing it, and before I knew it I had immersed myself so much in the lifestyle and research, that I knew more than anyone 'local' could help me with. I'm the kind of person that doesn't just want to be told... I want to KNOW myself.

Ok, I've scanned this post and I don't see any new abbreviations that you should have a problem with.. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:25 am 
Manatee

clsupnorth wrote:
Ok, I've scanned this post and I don't see any new abbreviations that you should have a problem with.. :wink:

:lol:
No, in fact I have never heard of a hubbie before... but I was having a guess on husband myself :ichliebeeuch: :D
Well, I am not married, I don't know anybody who is (except for the parents of someone). And I guess we would not say hubbie here anyhow :lol:
Next time some appreviation comes up, I will post my guesses ;)

But anyway. This is really cool about your profession and that you are a selftaught person :-)
I want to know it (how to train) myself as well and I am just now wondering how to do it. Did you read books or how did you get all the information?
Especially on the excercises. Daywalker tried to teach me deadlifts once and I didn't get it. Now I am alone and I would like to start with deadlifts, but how do I learn it?
All the jerks in this weight room don't seem to have a clue themselves. If I asked them for advice, I could very well just throw away my health by myself ;)
I mean. The theoretically part is caught up easy I guess (reading? Internet?), but what about the practical one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:45 pm 
Rabbit

You live in Germany, right? I love it there. My bro (brother) lived and worked in Berlin for a year, my mom is from France/Germany and is fluent in 6 languages (she lived/worked in Frankfurt for many years), and I have lots of family in France and Austria. Can't wait to go back.

My advice is read, read, read. Read everything whether you think it's related to your needs or not. One day you may need the info. Read stuff that's written by non-vegans, don't discriminate. What you can't apply can be modified. I posted a bunch of my fave links here:
http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=55216#55216

I have this site on that list, but take a look at deadlifts here. Each exercise has a video to show proper form.
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/HipsWt.html#anchor169231

Depending on what type of deadlift you are doing, I've found that 1) looking slightly upward keeps back from slouching 2) keep toes pointed out slightly to keep knees from buckling in 3) think of arms as lifeless strings that are merely keeping weight attached to you - they should not be engaged in movement at all and 4) at the bottom of the movement, think only of using your ass and legs to push you up. 5) Keep back straight, straight, straight! and most importantly.... 6) keep the weight lighter until you master form. Trying to use weight that is too heavy before you are doing it right is a recipe for disaster.