Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hello Everyone I'm new in here.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:11 pm 
Rabbit

Hello everyone I'm new to this whole Vegan Bodybuilding. I'm 18 years old. I'm a 99.9% vegan. Since I heard about Vegan Bodybuilding on My Space, I wanted to give it a try since I got lots of time before I start school.

Is there anyone that can please tell me what's the best way to start, how will I be able to gain weight since I'm a really skinny person (even before I went Vegan).

Will anyone be willing to give me a list of foods and exercises I can do from morning to night.

Couple of months ago I decided to start working out (before I heard about this website and I was still Vegan). I would only do easy stuff like 100 push ups per day, 100 pull ups and I would usually run on the treadmill for at least 30 minutes everyday. Then sometimes after finishing I would get light headed I'm not sure if it was because I was just starting or I'm not getting enough vitamins.

I hope someone can help me so I can get a better start than then one I did before

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:33 pm 
Elephant

Hi Rex.

Welcome to our forum :)

I understand your main goal is weight gain, right?

Okay, then first, you have to eat a lot. Simply eat everything you can find that is vegan for a start ;) Beans, lentils, brown rice, quinoa, tofu, nuts, oats, seeds, and of course all kinds of vegetables and fruits. Don't eat too much in one meal, rather try to eat as often as you can.

Training: focus on the big compound movements and on getting stronger on those. For a start, you have to learn the proper technique on the lifts so don't go too heavy. You should be able to do at least 12 clean reps in every set. Doing squats, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, dips, rows and chin ups would be enough for the beginning.
For more tips on training read the sticky in the bodybuilding section.

Good luck with your training!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:02 pm 
Elephant

Welcome :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:43 pm 
Elephant

30 mins of cardio wont help you gain any weight, you should stop that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:26 am 
Rabbit

offense74 wrote:
Welcome :D

Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:27 am 
Rabbit

Daywalker wrote:
Hi Rex.

Welcome to our forum :)

I understand your main goal is weight gain, right?

Okay, then first, you have to eat a lot. Simply eat everything you can find that is vegan for a start ;) Beans, lentils, brown rice, quinoa, tofu, nuts, oats, seeds, and of course all kinds of vegetables and fruits. Don't eat too much in one meal, rather try to eat as often as you can.

Training: focus on the big compound movements and on getting stronger on those. For a start, you have to learn the proper technique on the lifts so don't go too heavy. You should be able to do at least 12 clean reps in every set. Doing squats, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, dips, rows and chin ups would be enough for the beginning.
For more tips on training read the sticky in the bodybuilding section.

Good luck with your training!

Thanks I'll I have to do to start bodybuilding is gain weight first right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:27 am 
Rabbit

CollegeB wrote:
30 mins of cardio wont help you gain any weight, you should stop that.

Yeah.. doesn't that help though, somehow?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:33 am 
Site Admin

Welcome Rex!

I moved this thread to the introductions page so we can all properly welcome you.

Thanks for joining our forum. Feel free to post any questions, and get to know the other members. We have a very cool, supportive vegan community here :)

All the best and welcome aboard!

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:06 am 
Stegosaurus

The cardio is great for the heart and lungs, but you're probably putting your body more in a "fat-burning mode" than with lifting and compound exercises.

Welcome aboard though, it's good to have you. :-D

"Look at what a green thumb this guy has, he just throws plants in water and they root!"
- A good friend talking about my basil cuttings

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:06 am 
Rabbit

robert wrote:
Welcome Rex!

I moved this thread to the introductions page so we can all properly welcome you.

Thanks for joining our forum. Feel free to post any questions, and get to know the other members. We have a very cool, supportive vegan community here :)

All the best and welcome aboard!

No wonder why I couldn't find it lol.
I hope I get to know all of you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:46 am 
Elephant

Hi Rex,

Tell us more about yourself please. Where do you live? You say you are "a 99.9% vegan", what's the .1% non-vegan part?

You wrote:
"Will anyone be willing to give me a list of foods and exercises I can do from morning to night. Couple of months ago I decided to start working out (before I heard about this website and I was still Vegan). I would only do easy stuff like 100 push ups per day, 100 pull ups and I would usually run on the treadmill for at least 30 minutes everyday."

How enthusiatic you are wanting to work out from morning to night! What an impressive amount of exercise you can do for someone just getting started!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:36 am 
Elephant

Welcome aboard Rex!

http://www.david-schulz.com
Life Science
Got Milk?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:12 pm 
Elephant

Welcome Rex !!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:14 pm 
Rabbit

loveliberate wrote:
Hi Rex,

Tell us more about yourself please. Where do you live? You say you are "a 99.9% vegan", what's the .1% non-vegan part?

You wrote:
"Will anyone be willing to give me a list of foods and exercises I can do from morning to night. Couple of months ago I decided to start working out (before I heard about this website and I was still Vegan). I would only do easy stuff like 100 push ups per day, 100 pull ups and I would usually run on the treadmill for at least 30 minutes everyday."

How enthusiatic you are wanting to work out from morning to night! What an impressive amount of exercise you can do for someone just getting started!

Hello, I live in Los Angeles. I've been living here for most of my life. I'm not a full vegan yet, I don't eat egg, milk typical stuff like that I'm still learning what foods may have animal products in them. I can't call myself a vegan since I might eat something by accident without me knowing it. Kinna like jello.

Yeah, I want to start working out from morning to night maybe not full sets since I'm not prepared for that yet but I wanna use my time wisely since school hasn't started for me.

THanks to all of you for your time, this looks like a really nice community.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:39 pm 
Manatee

Welcome! Congrats on the veganism. I am also pretty slim, even before going vegan, but I have been putting some muscle on with the tips I've been getting here.

I hear that if you are trying to gain weight, don't do more than 45 min of Cardio per week. I just do a 1 mile warm-up run before I lift 3 times a week. And eat a lot, nuts, legumes, tofu, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, olive oil, and protein powders like hempseed and rice. I like glutamine a lot too, that seems to have a visible effect.

Also, I highly recommend pullups and chinups, those are great. And bench, fly's, dips, etc. I'm not so sure 100 reps of anything at a time is best for building muscle, ask the experts here. Lastly, I recommend a gym too, and if not, a pullup bar like the everlast one that fits in a door.

Here is a cool link for diagrams on muscle groups and their respective exercises: http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Take Care!
Joel