Hello Everyone I'm new in here.

Introduce yourself. Tell us about your training history, how long you've been vegan, share some of your goals and some of your interests.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Message
Author
rdandrew
Rabbit
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: Westminster, CO
Contact:

#16 Postby rdandrew » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:31 pm

Train hard and be consistent

Eat a lot of quality food
Ryan D. Andrews, MS, MA, RD, CSCS, CISSN
http://www.precisionnutrition.com/membe ... y.php?f=79

Rex
Rabbit
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:56 pm

#17 Postby Rex » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:32 am

joelbct wrote:Welcome! Congrats on the veganism. I am also pretty slim, even before going vegan, but I have been putting some muscle on with the tips I've been getting here.

I hear that if you are trying to gain weight, don't do more than 45 min of Cardio per week. I just do a 1 mile warm-up run before I lift 3 times a week. And eat a lot, nuts, legumes, tofu, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, olive oil, and protein powders like hempseed and rice. I like glutamine a lot too, that seems to have a visible effect.

Also, I highly recommend pullups and chinups, those are great. And bench, fly's, dips, etc. I'm not so sure 100 reps of anything at a time is best for building muscle, ask the experts here. Lastly, I recommend a gym too, and if not, a pullup bar like the everlast one that fits in a door.

Here is a cool link for diagrams on muscle groups and their respective exercises: http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Take Care!
Joel



Yeah I've actually been eating some of the foods you mentioned. I'm not sure if I really want a GYM membership, but that pullup bar sounds nice I'm gonna look for a nice one. Thanks for the nice site.

Rex

Rex
Rabbit
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:56 pm

#18 Postby Rex » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:33 am

rdandrew wrote:Train hard and be consistent

Eat a lot of quality food


It's kinna hard to get started, but it's always good to be positive.

User avatar
Richard
Site Admin
Posts: 6064
Age: 34
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: England
Contact:

#19 Postby Richard » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:36 pm

Wassap man, good to have you here, I have seen various postz that you created using your computer on this forum.

Yeah I would agree that you shouldn't do too much cardio, concentrate on muscle training. What kind of equipment are you using? Working out at home with weights, or with no weights, or working out at the gym? Then I could give you some better ideas that could work for you specifically. Doing 100 pullups in the course of the day is great stuff in my opinion, keep that up definitely if you can, and if it becomes simple, then go up to 150 or something. Similarly with pressups, aim for personal bests, I think that is good motivation, to know what you've achieved and want to beat it each day.
Image

Rex
Rabbit
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:56 pm

#20 Postby Rex » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:03 pm

Richard wrote:Wassap man, good to have you here, I have seen various postz that you created using your computer on this forum.

Yeah I would agree that you shouldn't do too much cardio, concentrate on muscle training. What kind of equipment are you using? Working out at home with weights, or with no weights, or working out at the gym? Then I could give you some better ideas that could work for you specifically. Doing 100 pullups in the course of the day is great stuff in my opinion, keep that up definitely if you can, and if it becomes simple, then go up to 150 or something. Similarly with pressups, aim for personal bests, I think that is good motivation, to know what you've achieved and want to beat it each day.


Nope I'm working out at home, I think I should get a little bigger before getting into the gym lol. I have a few weights, but no fancy machines. So no cardio at all? Not even running in the morning?

Thanks for the info and motivation!

User avatar
Richard
Site Admin
Posts: 6064
Age: 34
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: England
Contact:

#21 Postby Richard » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:16 pm

Rex wrote:
Richard wrote:Wassap man, good to have you here, I have seen various postz that you created using your computer on this forum.

Yeah I would agree that you shouldn't do too much cardio, concentrate on muscle training. What kind of equipment are you using? Working out at home with weights, or with no weights, or working out at the gym? Then I could give you some better ideas that could work for you specifically. Doing 100 pullups in the course of the day is great stuff in my opinion, keep that up definitely if you can, and if it becomes simple, then go up to 150 or something. Similarly with pressups, aim for personal bests, I think that is good motivation, to know what you've achieved and want to beat it each day.


Nope I'm working out at home, I think I should get a little bigger before getting into the gym lol. I have a few weights, but no fancy machines. So no cardio at all? Not even running in the morning?

Thanks for the info and motivation!


Well, the thing is that you said you're skinny and want to put on weight. Cardio will burn up calories, and not give you much muscle. I personally wouldn't wipe out cardio altogether, it is still a good thing to do to stay healthy. But maybe I'd cut it down to 15 minutes, as like a warm-up to weight training / working out. You can do more working out to compensate, it all depends on what you want to achieve; lifting weights / working out will get you bigger muscles, cardio will mainly just get you fit and burn fat.

Also, you can achieve great results without a gym, there are tonnes of exercises you can do. Have a look at Big Bwii's forum, it has a big list of exercises just using your own bodyweight:

http://s12.invisionfree.com/FLF/

scroll down, and you see a big long list of video tutorials for individual exercises, click on the name of it, and you get a video demonstration, it's really good!
Image

Rex
Rabbit
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:56 pm

#22 Postby Rex » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:19 pm

Richard wrote:
Rex wrote:
Richard wrote:Wassap man, good to have you here, I have seen various postz that you created using your computer on this forum.

Yeah I would agree that you shouldn't do too much cardio, concentrate on muscle training. What kind of equipment are you using? Working out at home with weights, or with no weights, or working out at the gym? Then I could give you some better ideas that could work for you specifically. Doing 100 pullups in the course of the day is great stuff in my opinion, keep that up definitely if you can, and if it becomes simple, then go up to 150 or something. Similarly with pressups, aim for personal bests, I think that is good motivation, to know what you've achieved and want to beat it each day.


Nope I'm working out at home, I think I should get a little bigger before getting into the gym lol. I have a few weights, but no fancy machines. So no cardio at all? Not even running in the morning?

Thanks for the info and motivation!


Well, the thing is that you said you're skinny and want to put on weight. Cardio will burn up calories, and not give you much muscle. I personally wouldn't wipe out cardio altogether, it is still a good thing to do to stay healthy. But maybe I'd cut it down to 15 minutes, as like a warm-up to weight training / working out. You can do more working out to compensate, it all depends on what you want to achieve; lifting weights / working out will get you bigger muscles, cardio will mainly just get you fit and burn fat.

Also, you can achieve great results without a gym, there are tonnes of exercises you can do. Have a look at Big Bwii's forum, it has a big list of exercises just using your own bodyweight:

http://s12.invisionfree.com/FLF/

scroll down, and you see a big long list of video tutorials for individual exercises, click on the name of it, and you get a video demonstration, it's really good!


That's a really nice website thanks!
I have another question, how long do sets have to be for a beginner?

User avatar
Richard
Site Admin
Posts: 6064
Age: 34
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: England
Contact:

#23 Postby Richard » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:31 pm

With exercises that you are new to, ones that you have never done before, or haven't done for several weeks, I would advise doing about 12 reps, and 2 sets. But that's with things which can be adjusted (weights). The amount of weight being used in an exercise determines the reps; you choose a weight which is heavy enough that you literally cannot do 13, only 12. That way it would be a fairly light weight.

However, with body-weight exercises like pull-ups, press-ups etc, you can't adjust the weight below your own bodyweight.

As you're already able to do 100 pullups in a day, that suggests you're in pretty good shape already, in at least one way (strong back, and low fat ratio, I could be wrong?).

With new body-weight exercises, I'd advise just doing what feels comfortable. Don't push yourself to your very limits straight away, you may injure yourself. Do 2 or 3 sets of good reps, stop the exercise immediately if you're shaking / struggling. Stop and wait a few seconds and try again, so you do smooth controlled movements. I've been doing this with one-legged squats, as I have had problems with my knees. I was wobbling all over the place, well, I still am (!), but I am getting better by concentrating on control. You will be able to do more reps as you practice the movements.

But really, with body-weight exercises, I don't think it's really possible to hurt yourself that much by doing too many reps. One day I did 50 squats in a row, and could barely walk afterwards, but I was fine the next day. Similarly, I did 300 pressups during the course a day, and really felt the burn the next day, but it was just normal exercise burn, not an injury. Your body should really clue you in to if things aren't going right.

Once you've done the exercises a few times and your body is used to the control of it, then you can step up the reps, or add weight, adjust the angle, or do them even slower to make it harder. It varies from person to person how long it would take to get used to them, but I am sure you'll feel it, feel what you are capable of doing.

I've been told to stand on one leg with my eyes closed for 1 minute to strengthen my leg muscles and learn balance to deal with my problems. That sounded so easy, but I sucked! I was okay with my eyes open, but eyes shut, I got about 14 seconds... but now after about a month or so, I can do 1 minute on each leg. It still doesn't come easy to me, but I think in a few more weeks, it will be really simple, you just have to keep trying the things that you struggle with.
Image

Rex
Rabbit
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:56 pm

#24 Postby Rex » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:25 pm

Richard wrote:With exercises that you are new to, ones that you have never done before, or haven't done for several weeks, I would advise doing about 12 reps, and 2 sets. But that's with things which can be adjusted (weights). The amount of weight being used in an exercise determines the reps; you choose a weight which is heavy enough that you literally cannot do 13, only 12. That way it would be a fairly light weight.

However, with body-weight exercises like pull-ups, press-ups etc, you can't adjust the weight below your own bodyweight.

As you're already able to do 100 pullups in a day, that suggests you're in pretty good shape already, in at least one way (strong back, and low fat ratio, I could be wrong?).

With new body-weight exercises, I'd advise just doing what feels comfortable. Don't push yourself to your very limits straight away, you may injure yourself. Do 2 or 3 sets of good reps, stop the exercise immediately if you're shaking / struggling. Stop and wait a few seconds and try again, so you do smooth controlled movements. I've been doing this with one-legged squats, as I have had problems with my knees. I was wobbling all over the place, well, I still am (!), but I am getting better by concentrating on control. You will be able to do more reps as you practice the movements.

But really, with body-weight exercises, I don't think it's really possible to hurt yourself that much by doing too many reps. One day I did 50 squats in a row, and could barely walk afterwards, but I was fine the next day. Similarly, I did 300 pressups during the course a day, and really felt the burn the next day, but it was just normal exercise burn, not an injury. Your body should really clue you in to if things aren't going right.

Once you've done the exercises a few times and your body is used to the control of it, then you can step up the reps, or add weight, adjust the angle, or do them even slower to make it harder. It varies from person to person how long it would take to get used to them, but I am sure you'll feel it, feel what you are capable of doing.

I've been told to stand on one leg with my eyes closed for 1 minute to strengthen my leg muscles and learn balance to deal with my problems. That sounded so easy, but I sucked! I was okay with my eyes open, but eyes shut, I got about 14 seconds... but now after about a month or so, I can do 1 minute on each leg. It still doesn't come easy to me, but I think in a few more weeks, it will be really simple, you just have to keep trying the things that you struggle with.


I'm gonna start doing what you said, and then add some more. Standing on one leg sounds pretty easy lol. I should give it a try. I haven't been doing leg exercises, but just like you said it's going to be hard the first months. Thanks for the info now I know how not to hurt myself lol.

User avatar
Richard
Site Admin
Posts: 6064
Age: 34
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: England
Contact:

#25 Postby Richard » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:53 pm

I'd check that bodyweight forum, and ask bigbwii (he is on this forum too, that is his username here), he knows lots about bodyweight exercises. My advice might be utter crap, hahar. But what I've said makes logical sense to me anyway
Image

User avatar
Crash
Elephant
Posts: 1484
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: USA

#26 Postby Crash » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:13 pm

Welcome ! :D
Out of my mind...Back in five minutes.

No human can call themselves liberal or radical or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if they contribute in any way to the pain and suffering of other beings.

http://www.myspace.com/cjdcrash

Rex
Rabbit
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:56 pm

#27 Postby Rex » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:13 pm

Crash wrote:Welcome ! :D


Thank you!


Return to “Introductions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests