Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:35 am 
Finch

edit : sorry, mistake.

Last edited by Pim on Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:46 am 
Finch

loveliberate wrote:
Is there anywhere particular in the US that you'd like to visit? We are an amazingly large and diverse country...

I'd like to visit any part of the US. I had a look at Portland's website, the surrouding of this city seems very nice. I'd really love to visit New York city, I've heard so much about club and party overthere. I'd also like to go to Miami during the winter music conference.
I'm still wondering about how people feel about French people since the war in Irak. I've heard so much about it that I really don't know.

loveliberate wrote:
I would enjoy visiting Paris at least once. What is the cost for a "cheap 2 star hotel" there on average?

Arround 90€ for 2 people for one night and breakfast.

loveliberate wrote:
Generally, I avoid large cities and overly touristy areas - I prefer smaller towns, open land, lands, mountains and forests. I'd appreciate suggestions for anywhere but generally the area's in and around the Pyrenees, Alps, the Jura's & the Massif Central seem promising.

There is region that you don't mention but that is worth the journey : "La bretagne". It's the sort of big peninsula in the west or france. There is a big forest "Brocéliande", this is the forest of Merlin the wizzard. If you are interested in all the Arthur's myth and everything related, this is the very place to go. Every village or lake or anything has a story overthere.
This is also the region of the "galette". This is a very famous meal and hoppefully you can tweak the receipe in order to make it vegan without wasting the original taste. You can also visit the "Mont saint Michel", this is like a big church built on a rock near the coast. If you like the sea and things related, there are dozen of small coast city with lovely ports.

Mountains are a great choice. During winter, for winter sports. Or during summer for excursions. In the massif central you can practice lot of water sport like canoe, rafting, aqua-excursion...
I don't know much about mountain, but at least I have a strong advise : don't go to the Pyrenees for winter sport if you have a surf. Tracks are clearly not designed for surf.

loveliberate wrote:
Please do offer suggestions and please ask any questions you have about the US! :D

I think I have a very false idea of what US are really. My opinion is based on american movies and French media, but I do believe that this is not the truth. Your society cannot be like in "Friends". Tell me more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:29 am 
Elephant

Welcome!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:46 pm 
Elephant

Hello Pim,

I doubt that many folks in the US have a particularly realistic view of your country and it's people. Most people in the US probably have no strong feelings or knowledge about France or the French one way or anouther.

That said, there is a substantial minority who have very favorable opinions/impressions of France/the French - mostly based on the belief that France is a very socially/politically progressive country whose people are all great cooks & lovers. :wink:

There is anouther substantial minority with negative feelings towards France but even most of these folks would not extend this universally to all French people. There are also some folks who are negatively predjudiced against all "foriegners". :roll:

Overall, I do not think you would encounter many or any significantly negative attitudes, particularly if you avoid political discussions and/or drunk people. :)

"Arround 90€ for 2 people for one night and breakfast."
I dont think I'll be spending much time in Paris hotels then! :lol:

Thanks for the suggestions of places to visit - they sound very nice. One of the most attractive things about France for me is that it is so large (comparitively) with so much pleasant countryside.

"I don't know much about mountain, but at least I have a strong advise : don't go to the Pyrenees for winter sport if you have a surf. Tracks are clearly not designed for surf."

What do you mean by "surf"? :?

"I think I have a very false idea of what US are really. My opinion is based on american movies and French media, but I do believe that this is not the truth. Your society cannot be like in "Friends". Tell me more."

This is almost certainly true! We honestly do not usually hear much about France one way or anouther. I doubt that most of what we do hear is truly reflective of the reality in your country. The US is a huge country with very diverse lands and peoples. In many ways, it is like many countries all rolled into one.

Beyond that... I'm not sure what to say exactly but please ask any questions you have! I'm happy to share my opinions, experience & knowledge - I'm certain other folks will do the same & that you'll get a variety of opinions.

Bye for now! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:00 pm 
Elephant

I would also like to visit France. I have heard it is very beautiful and "clean". When I was younger my family hosted a French exchange student. She of course spoke very highly of her country, thus my desire to visit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:47 pm 
Elephant

I've only been to Paris and I liked it very much. I would like to travel to the French riviera sometime too. But next year I will hopefully go to Madrid and Barcelona in June and then the US in august.

Pim:
You have to go to NYC. I absolutely loved it. It's the whole world packed into a small geographical area. And being vegan in NYC is so easy it's not even funny.
Now that I look back at my journey last summer (to the US) I think my favourite places were NYC, Arizona and Las Vegas. I might even move to Arizona when I retire because it was one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen (I love deserts :D ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:32 pm 
Elephant

Offense,
What part/s of Arizona did you visit? I also really enjoy the desert there. :D

Pim,
I've heard from a few places & people that France is the European country which is most similar to the US. I've never been there but from what I've read, I believe this is accurate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:02 pm 
Manatee

Welcome!

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts. - Bertrand Russell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:30 pm 
Finch

loveliberate wrote:
I've heard from a few places & people that France is the European country which is most similar to the US. I've never been there but from what I've read, I believe this is accurate.

I suppose you mean similar by the land, weather and countryside ?

loveliberate wrote:
What do you mean by "surf"? :?

I mean snowboard :oops:

loveliberate wrote:
I dont think I'll be spending much time in Paris hotels then!

Yes, Paris is expensive.

offense74 wrote:
Pim:
You have to go to NYC. I absolutely loved it.

Yes of course I want to see NYC. I've heard so much about it. I'm keen on a music "One night in NYC" by the horrorist, very funny track by the way. I think it's the place to go since I'm a club addict :d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:59 pm 
Elephant

Welcome. I was the only vegan among my friends when I first went to it, but one has been converted and two more are on the way. Being vegan here in small town middle America can be difficult at times, also; few people really know what a vegan is. I would think France would be particularly difficult for a vegan because of all the good cooking and use of cheese :)

The metric system is socialized measurment. If you implement it it will only be a matter of time before your grandma will stand in front of a death panel being forced to deny the existance of baby Jesus.

-offense74

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:54 am 
Elephant

loveliberate wrote:
Offense,
What part/s of Arizona did you visit? I also really enjoy the desert there. :D

We went from Tucson by bus up to Grand Canyon and from there in to Utah and after that to Las Vegas. I wouldn't mind someone giving me a house in Sedona :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:02 pm 
Elephant

Pim,

I was mostly referring to our countries & their peoples having many social/cultural similarities in things such as lifestyle, societal structure, personal values, etc. Part of that is probably due to both countries being fairly large & diverse landwise.

I thought that you probably meant snowboarding - thank you for clarifying. :)

Offense,
That sounds like a nice roadtrip that would allow you to see (at least briefly) a good cross-section of Arizona. Sedona is in a particularly nice area - if someone gave me a house there, I'd almost certainly accept it & invite you to visit! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:19 am 
Elephant

Welcome ! 8)

No human can call themselves liberal or radical or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if they contribute in any way to the pain and suffering of other beings.

http://www.myspace.com/cjdcrash