Thank you everyone. :)

veganpotter wrote:
Welcome...the forum always needs another Jeremy

Who's the first one? No-no, I ain't gonna hurt 'im. :twisted: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:26 pm 
Elephant

dudeofthedead wrote:
Humans are quick to think that, since animals don't comprehend our language, then they have to be fucking retarded and treated like objets.

Humans do the same with other humans who don't speak their language, either literally not speaking their language or simply having a different cultural viewpoint.

I don't think that the disrespect comes from the language. Words are simply words, nothing more. They only have power if given it by misunderstanding, apathy or hatred.

Welcome to the board!

http://www.facebook.com/veganburgh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:01 pm 
Rabbit

michaelhobson wrote:
I don't think that the disrespect comes from the language. Words are simply words, nothing more. They only have power if given it by misunderstanding, apathy or hatred.

See, that's the very idea behind this thread - insults including animal names DO have power in this case since they are used in a context when human beings are supposed to feel miserable. Call me picky but I don't like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:37 pm 
Elephant

dudeofthedead wrote:
michaelhobson wrote:

See, that's the very idea behind this thread - insults including animal names DO have power in this case since they are used in a context when human beings are supposed to feel miserable. Call me picky but I don't like that.

I understand your point, I just don't agree with it. I'm a proponent of the free flow of language without restriction on words chosen or implications made. That includes words or phrases deemed disrespectful to animals, humans, cultures, races etc. But, we've been around that circle many times on this board, just ask Richard about the word 'gypo'.

So, I may in fact call you picky or any number of other things, but you make me think, which I always appreciate. I think you'll fit right in here, welcome again. 8)

http://www.facebook.com/veganburgh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:01 am 
Manatee

Hey and welcome to the board!

oo.. and Dead Rising does not compare to RE! :wink:

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts. - Bertrand Russell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:06 am 
Elephant

Welcome :D

I disagee with the word thing. We had bouts about vocabulary in here before.
The words that comes out of someones mouth is a reflection of the processes inside someones head/soul/persnality/etc. Forbidding the words won't do squat to change these processes. To me this is an example of oversimplification that has gotten us into alot of trouble in the past and still is. It's the mindset that has to change which is of course a much deeper and tougher problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:37 am 
dudeofthedead wrote:
Who's the first one? No-no, I ain't gonna hurt 'im. :twisted: :lol:

I think I'm the first but I'm pretty frail due to the cycling and all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:01 pm 
Manatee

Hi!

Cool! Another Belgian!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

And you are both named Dude! 8) 8) 8)

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:18 pm 
Rabbit

Last of the Sane wrote:
Hey and welcome to the board!

oo.. and Dead Rising does not compare to RE! :wink:

Dat is ook de bedoeling (= that's the idea). :wink: With this taken into account I think my comparison still stands up in a way that both games revolve around killing zombies, even though DEAD RISING is merely a homage to George Romero's DAWN OF THE DEAD while RESIDENT EVIL is openly based on the zombie concept developed by Romero. There is always room for more zombie games. Also, I believe the concept is extremely interesting if you think of how people have become a bunch of mindless zombies going to the closest mall doing their daily shopping. So by buying a copy of DEAD RISING, you literally contribute to freeing the world from dummies (me be pushin my shoppin cart, me be doin great). At least, mentally. :P

@robert: 'dude' is like the coolest word in the world, no wonder we would pick it out. 8)

As for words, and to react to the further input, we don't ponder them enough in my opinion, as languages have gotten us into cyborg-like behaviour, we're so full of easily convenient terms for all kinds of situations and there's no meaning left or at least some just don't listen to what that entails (this reminds me of AMERICAN PSYCHO, when Patrick Bateman admits to being into murders and executions and the girl in front of him won't even hear it and instead interpret that the way she feels the most comfortable with). But looking at words as a sign of intelligence, let me laugh. I doubt people will ever question their habits when it comes to communicating. If uttering foolish things like 'the man was butchered like a pig' sounds righteous to someone, they will certainly show little to no resistance or they wouldn't even dig it, maybe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:46 pm 
Elephant

Hello & Welcome! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:31 pm 
Elephant

Welcome ! :)

No human can call themselves liberal or radical or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if they contribute in any way to the pain and suffering of other beings.

http://www.myspace.com/cjdcrash