New Member from South Florida

ARvegan

Hi. This seems like a great group of people! I've been an ethical vegan for 3yrs and vegetarian for 11 yrs prior. I have raised my daughter vegan (she's 7 yrs old) and as a result now prescribe to the (personal) health benefits of the vegan diet as well.

I am a Yoga Teacher and have been studying (yoga) for over 9 yrs.

Hoping to connect with other like-minded, healthy people

Welcome to our group! Normally I'm the first to respond, since I spend the most time on the forum, but I was away this evening and I see many have already given you a warm welcome That is just the nature of the group, so you'll spending time here.

We also have a number of people into Yoga, some also teach it. There is a yoga section on the forum so you'll find some buddies there. We have a handful of members from Florida but not too many. Hopefully more and more will join all the time.

I like the term ethical vegan. I just started using it about 6 months ago. I'm not sure why. I heard someone use that term and it just seemed to fit for me too, so I often say the same about myself.

Again, welcome to our group and have a lot of fun here!

Hi!. Ethical vegan usually applies to those who have chosen to be vegan for the animals (as opposed to health reasons or religious).

(Maybe you knew that but I misinterpreted )

Although, I am (& especially my daughter) vegan for the health benefits, as well.

So nice to feel invited into this circle with all of your replies.

In response to some of the mention of my raising my daughter vegan....

It has been a diffucult journey due to much opposition from her father (mainstream, non-vegan, divorced, 'nuf said) & a (my) interfering mom.

I try to stay in the company of open-minded, respectful people alot of whom are veg'n or spiritual folks.

I also started a local vegan kids meetup as a way for veg'n kids to find comraderie with veg'n peers and to positively reinforce compassion for animals, good vegan food and kid-fun.

http://vegan.meetup.com/375/

Do any of you have kids and are you raising them vegan?

Nice chatting!!

Michelle

Hola Michelle,

I checked out the meetup link you provided - it looks like you are doing lots of great stuff!

I'm sorry to hear that your Mom & Ex have opposed your wonderful & wise decision to raise your daughter vegan. My wife, 3 kids & I are all vegan - our families have never made much of an issue of this choice either way.

Oh wow! How cool to make the connection! My boyfriend and I started the Pittsburgh meetup group just back in November and noticed your group back then! And to think shortly after we'd have a real contact through Vegan Bodybuilding and Fitness. We're raising 3 veg*n little girls - ages 4, 5 and 7. We've met some vegan families through our group and through the pgh veg_yahoo group that coexists. Having that social support network for kids is invaluable. It's been essential for me as an adult so, I can only imagine...

Anyway, it's great to meet you! Welcome!