Time to quit lurking ;)

Introduce yourself. Tell us about your training history, how long you've been vegan, share some of your goals and some of your interests.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

jaxin
Rabbit

Time to quit lurking ;)

#1 Postby jaxin » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:06 pm

Hi Everyone!

My name is Kelly, I'm 28 and from Bakersfield, CA.

I actually signed up for the forums sometime last year to get some support in my new found love of getting in shape! Well.. that new love lasted about a week. :wink:

But thanks to some friends mentioning this forum, I'm back. I'm not into building (yet!), but I do hope to be getting into shape. I'm currently overweight (alot) and looking to slim down, and then look into building up some fabulous muscles! I had my first trip to my new gym today and had a half hour intro session with a trainer and I'll be seeing her again soon, so I'm pretty excited! I'm also going to blog my way through my weight loss, so I'll post the link once I get it up and going. Although it probably wont be too exciting :D

I've been vegan since November of 2005. I did it for ethics, but the health benefits aren't too bad either! I moved from Connecticut to Bakersfield late last year and it's proving to be a little rougher here on vegans. No veg restaurants and only a couple of places to shop, but I'll get by! Just means more cooking myself healthy meals at home, which is good. It also makes it that much more exciting when I make it up to PDX! I've been twice in the past few months and it's my second home! I hope to move up there pretty soon, but it might be as long as a year from now. Either way I'm totally looking forward to that. Portland is so amazing and I have so many great friends there.

I have a myspace page if you'd like to check it out. It's pretty calm compared to my personality ;)

I guess that's enough of me for now! I'm looking forward to getting to know you all!

<3
The death of one is a tragedy; the death of millions is just a statistic.

xdarthveganx
Elephant

#2 Postby xdarthveganx » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:11 pm

welcome to the forum!
https://www.facebook.com/xdarthveganx
I am in the process of trying to lose 60lbs of fat while gaining lean muscle by December 2012
My fitness/transformation log can be found here

robert
Site Admin

#3 Postby robert » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:14 pm

Welcome! Thanks for the introduction. So, you're in Portland quite often and we didn't know about it! There are a bunch of us here from Portland, probably about 25 members live in this area.

So, you'll have to check out the meet-ups and traveling section as well as events section to see what's going on regionally and to let us know when you'll be in town.

Cool that you are back at the gym and have newfound motivation! We even have a shape-up challenge going on now and it's not too late to enter. Check out the bodybuilding section for more info on that.

Great to have you here. All the best and re-welcome aboard!

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

lelle
Elephant

#4 Postby lelle » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:20 pm

hey, welcome aboard :)

Michelle
Elephant

#5 Postby Michelle » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:48 pm

Welcome, Kelly! :)

cubby2112
Elephant

#6 Postby cubby2112 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:42 pm

Welcome! You have come to the right place for exercise advice and support.
Cubby's Fitness Log

The metric system is socialized measurment. If you implement it it will only be a matter of time before your grandma will stand in front of a death panel being forced to deny the existance of baby Jesus.

-offense74

AVOJAMACADA
Rabbit

#7 Postby AVOJAMACADA » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:21 pm

Yo Kelly-Welcome-I'm Dorian.
I like your dedication.

Skies the limit and skies are limitless....
See you at the top!

SpeakLow
Rabbit

#8 Postby SpeakLow » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:52 pm

Hi and welcome! Seems everyone wants to go to Portland! I'm headed up there this year, good luck. I know what you mean about the dining and shopping choices, my area isn't fit for anyone like myself, just for the steak house guru's. But, you're right, it makes you cook more of your own food, nothing bad about that!

See ya around!

jaxin
Rabbit

#9 Postby jaxin » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:58 pm

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

I've been poking around the forums taking a look. Does there happen to be a particular area for weight loss? I didn't see anything, but I wouldn't put missing something past me!

CollegeB
Elephant

#10 Postby CollegeB » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:31 pm

glad you decided to stop lurking.

veganmadre
Elephant

#11 Postby veganmadre » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:41 pm

Even though your name is Kelly, I've seen jaxin so much that now I just think your name is "jackson". Hope that's ok! :wink:

Hooray for the intro! It's nice to see you over here. As for the weight loss, I don't know about a section but I lost about 100 pounds within the past two years.

Here's me at 240lbs:

Here's now:

I know there are others here who have lost weight in the past year and new members with weight loss goals. I stuck with a weight watchers oriented program - some have done well with body for life and eat to live and raw food.

I love cooking, bread and cupcakes way too much for some of the rigid diets! :wink:
Making Prudish Americans Uncomfortable - one photo at a time.

michaelhobson
Elephant

#12 Postby michaelhobson » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:13 pm

Hi Kelly! Glad to see you over here on VB&F. Most of the vegans over here have their clothes on, except for veganmadre, but you've already seen her naked. :lol:

Welcome to the board!

jaxin
Rabbit

#13 Postby jaxin » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:08 am

michaelhobson wrote:Hi Kelly! Glad to see you over here on VB&F. Most of the vegans over here have their clothes on, except for veganmadre, but you've already seen her naked. :lol:

Whyyy, yes I have! ;)

veganmadre: I never would have known, you look incredible! Well, now you're an inspiration to me. <3 Thanks!

Odidnetne
Stegosaurus

#14 Postby Odidnetne » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:11 am

Welcome. What part of CT? I live about 70 miles from Danbury.
www.facebook.com/OhDid

"Look at what a green thumb this guy has, he just throws plants in water and they root!"
- A good friend talking about my basil cuttings

jaxin
Rabbit

#15 Postby jaxin » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:11 am

veganmadre wrote:I love cooking, bread and cupcakes way too much for some of the rigid diets! :wink:

Exactly! I tried to do weight watchers. (Jenz was kind enough to send me some weight watchers stuff) I like the idea, but you have to obsess over it! I can't do that. Plus I put so many ingredients into stuff that it took me forever to figure up the points!

I like to just eat less and healthier and if I'm doing something wrong the scale will tell me so!

Return to “Introductions”