Greetings from Los Angeles

Introduce yourself. Tell us about your training history, how long you've been vegan, share some of your goals and some of your interests.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

mkiojon
Rabbit

Greetings from Los Angeles

#1 Postby mkiojon » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:47 pm

Hi,

My name is Jon and I have been checking out this board for a while. I've been mostly vegan for 15 years. I am living in Los Angeles and I play drums and keyboards in a few different bands. I have had a desire to work-out more and I am here for ideas from the vegan perspective. I'm very familar with vegan cooking and raw foods. I helped to open a vegan restaurant in Ohio as well as a raw foods restaraunt in NY a few years back before music became my primary focus. When I am on tour with one of my bands, I tend to do a lot of the cooking. Eventhough I am the only one who follows this sort of diet, my bandmates are aware that eating vegan is a great way to save $$ while on the road. This leads to another interest of mine, finding ways to stretch the penny while being healthy on a vegan diet. I've found that it is possible to spend around $20 a week on groceries and still make things interesting and healthy.
I look forward to jumping on here now and then and meeting some new faces.

Thanks,

Jon

robert
Site Admin

#2 Postby robert » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:53 pm

Welcome Jon!

I'll be in L.A. in a few weeks and I know we have a handful of members there.

Great to have you here. Mostly vegan for 15 years, that is pretty awesome! We do have a number of band members as well so you'll find lots of interesting people.

Thanks for joining our forum and I look forward to hearing more from you. I also want to make $ stretch and spent as little as possible but still eat well.

All the best and welcome aboard!

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

mkiojon
Rabbit

#3 Postby mkiojon » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:46 pm

Right on, thanks for replying Robert! This is a great site and I appreciate the work you have put into it. I have many questions and experiences to share with everyone here. If you need any info on LA, just let me know.

See you around,

Jon

veganpotter

#4 Postby veganpotter » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:48 pm

$20 a week on food...interesting and healthy...I think we can all learn from you

mkiojon
Rabbit

#5 Postby mkiojon » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:15 pm

Hi Veganpotter,

It is mainly based around beans, rice, or other grains. I have had to cut a lot of corners from the days of working in restaurants. $20 is around how much I spend on a typical week...that is assuming that I have all of my pantry items fully stocked, such as seasonings, oils, etc.. Once all of that is taken care of, the rest is pretty simple. I don't tend to buy a lot of luxury items and I buy whatever produce is in season. Produce can be pretty inexpensive especially in California. When traveling, I notice fruit and veggies can be a bit more pricey. One of my keys to keeping costs down is planning my meals so that I don't have to grab a burrito somewhere while I am out and about. I make sure to make a pot of lentils and brown rice w/ veggies on a daily basis. I usually add onion, carrot, celery and spices to it and top it off with hot sauce when I am finished. That is one of my convienient foods. I have a hot plate in my studio, so when I am working on music, I have food cooking in the background constantly. I also try to have raw fruit and veggies on hand whenever possible.

Jon

veganpotter

#6 Postby veganpotter » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:24 pm

I like the beans and rice thing but fruits are what kills me...I eat 8-10 bananas a day and I don't feel good if I eat less than 5 or so...plus a few apples here and there and I'm $5 in the whole already...making my own soymilk has been a big plus though

Michelle
Elephant

#7 Postby Michelle » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:56 am

Welcome!! :) :)

Odidnetne
Stegosaurus

#8 Postby Odidnetne » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:58 am

Welcome to the forums.
www.facebook.com/OhDid

"Look at what a green thumb this guy has, he just throws plants in water and they root!"
- A good friend talking about my basil cuttings

Tigress
Gorilla

#9 Postby Tigress » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:27 am

Hello and Welcome from me
When you rescue a dog, you gain a heart for life

Last of the Sane
Manatee

#10 Postby Last of the Sane » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:31 am

Welcome!
Integrity defines strength.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts. - Bertrand Russell

loveliberate
Elephant

#11 Postby loveliberate » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:41 am

Hello & Welcome Jon! :D
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama, May 2001 at "Educating Heart Summit" in Portland, OR.
http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.aware.org

lelle
Elephant

#12 Postby lelle » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:40 am

welcome :)

cubby2112
Elephant

#13 Postby cubby2112 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:29 am

Welcome. When I move out of my dorm and into an apartment next year for college, I plan to eat a diet more or less like yours. Lots of lentils and other legumes.
Cubby's Fitness Log

The metric system is socialized measurment. If you implement it it will only be a matter of time before your grandma will stand in front of a death panel being forced to deny the existance of baby Jesus.

-offense74

CollegeB
Elephant

#14 Postby CollegeB » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:51 am

Not even 2 years ago when I was making very little I too spent just $20 a week on groceries. I think we had a vegan cheap meals thread. Anyhow welcome to the forum!

mkiojon
Rabbit

#15 Postby mkiojon » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:47 pm

Awesome, thanks for the all of the replies. I'll have to find that thread that is going around about cost-effective living. Ultimately I plan on elevating my financial status so that I can live a bit more comfortably, but until then, it is good to bounce off ideas on how to stay in shape, eat well, etc.. on a budget.

Return to “Introductions”