Greetings from Los Angeles

mkiojon

Hi,

My name is Jon and I have been checking out this board for a while. I've been mostly vegan for 15 years. I am living in Los Angeles and I play drums and keyboards in a few different bands. I have had a desire to work-out more and I am here for ideas from the vegan perspective. I'm very familar with vegan cooking and raw foods. I helped to open a vegan restaurant in Ohio as well as a raw foods restaraunt in NY a few years back before music became my primary focus. When I am on tour with one of my bands, I tend to do a lot of the cooking. Eventhough I am the only one who follows this sort of diet, my bandmates are aware that eating vegan is a great way to save $$ while on the road. This leads to another interest of mine, finding ways to stretch the penny while being healthy on a vegan diet. I've found that it is possible to spend around $20 a week on groceries and still make things interesting and healthy.

I look forward to jumping on here now and then and meeting some new faces.

Thanks,

Jon

Welcome Jon!

I'll be in L.A. in a few weeks and I know we have a handful of members there.

Great to have you here. Mostly vegan for 15 years, that is pretty awesome! We do have a number of band members as well so you'll find lots of interesting people.

Thanks for joining our forum and I look forward to hearing more from you. I also want to make $ stretch and spent as little as possible but still eat well.

All the best and welcome aboard!

Right on, thanks for replying Robert! This is a great site and I appreciate the work you have put into it. I have many questions and experiences to share with everyone here. If you need any info on LA, just let me know.

See you around,

Jon

Hi Veganpotter,

It is mainly based around beans, rice, or other grains. I have had to cut a lot of corners from the days of working in restaurants. $20 is around how much I spend on a typical week...that is assuming that I have all of my pantry items fully stocked, such as seasonings, oils, etc.. Once all of that is taken care of, the rest is pretty simple. I don't tend to buy a lot of luxury items and I buy whatever produce is in season. Produce can be pretty inexpensive especially in California. When traveling, I notice fruit and veggies can be a bit more pricey. One of my keys to keeping costs down is planning my meals so that I don't have to grab a burrito somewhere while I am out and about. I make sure to make a pot of lentils and brown rice w/ veggies on a daily basis. I usually add onion, carrot, celery and spices to it and top it off with hot sauce when I am finished. That is one of my convienient foods. I have a hot plate in my studio, so when I am working on music, I have food cooking in the background constantly. I also try to have raw fruit and veggies on hand whenever possible.

Jon

I like the beans and rice thing but fruits are what kills me...I eat 8-10 bananas a day and I don't feel good if I eat less than 5 or so...plus a few apples here and there and I'm $5 in the whole already...making my own soymilk has been a big plus though

Awesome, thanks for the all of the replies. I'll have to find that thread that is going around about cost-effective living. Ultimately I plan on elevating my financial status so that I can live a bit more comfortably, but until then, it is good to bounce off ideas on how to stay in shape, eat well, etc.. on a budget.

Hey, Jon, welcome! Vegan on a budget is a really good topic - one of the excuses I always here from people for why they don't eat healthier is the myth that it's expensive and that junk food is cheaper. I spend about the same on groceries now as I did before I was vegan, only I'm getting a lot more nutrients for each dollar.

As far as fitness on a budget, well, you'll find a lot of bodyweight fitness types here (myself included) and that doesn't cost anything!

Anyway, welcome to the forum!