Introduction to Destruction

pharmakon

welcome!

you are hilarious!! I love your kind of humor. who's your favorite comedian?

Hmm, I don't know, one thing is for sure, however: I hate Dane Cook. He's a douchebag. And Carlos Mencia, he sucks, too. Vulgar movies usually make me laugh, though. Oh, how about schopenhauer? He was a pretty funny guy, at least when talking about hegel.

If I were to say that the so-called philosophy of this fellow Hegel is a colossal piece of mystification which will yet provide posterity with an inexhaustible theme for laughter at our times, that it is a pseudo-philosophy paralyzing all mental powers, stifling all real thinking, and, by the most outrageous misuse of language, putting in its place the hollowest, most senseless, thoughtless, and, as is confirmed by its success, most stupefying verbiage, I should be quite right. Further, if I were to say that this summus philosophus [...] scribbled nonsense quite unlike any mortal before him, so that whoever could read his most eulogized work, the so-called Phenomenology of the Mind, without feeling as if he were in a madhouse, would qualify as an inmate for Bedlam, I should be no less right.

Welcome! And please consider moving to Portland soon. I'll feed you whatever you want to gain 10 pounds (vegan of course). I miss east coast sarcasm/wit/humour/frankness/cynicism that much. I'm from Philly originally so I have to bite my tongue often, which makes me kind of quiet, which I've never been in my life.

I'm getting closer, day by day. I think I'm near 175 lbs now. I'm getting raw and going to the gym a lot, so if I don't hit 180 by next month I'll probably just eat a bag of nickels. I ordered and ate a veggie burger hoagie, and it's about 3 am, so that should help.

A friend of mine was out there for a while, in oregon, at least. I hear the vegan food is pretty good. I wouldn't mind checking it out sometime. Philly's veg scene is pretty formidable itself.

But yes, you're right. Whenever I step out of the immediate area, no one can handle jokes. You throw in a typical "hey, hand me the remote, or I'll kill you" and then no one wants to be your friend anymore.

Dude, you should come out to our Vegan Vacation in July/August in Portland!

Check out the Vegan Vacation section on the forum. It would be fun to have you.

For the record, I've done stand-up a number of times at two clubs here in town. A couple of other forum members do stand-up as well. It can be amazing and it can also be the most lonely place in the world!...for a few minutes.

Hmm, I don't know, one thing is for sure, however: I hate Dane Cook. He's a douchebag. And Carlos Mencia, he sucks, too. Vulgar movies usually make me laugh, though. Oh, how about schopenhauer? He was a pretty funny guy, at least when talking about hegel.

Dane Cook actually stole a bunch of his material from Louis C K (my absolute favorite comedian)....it's really weird though, because they are both so different. If you love vulgarity, Louis C K is the man...he does it really simply though. Ever seen him?

Schopenhauer was a miserable bastard though, wasn't he?

Dane Cook actually stole a bunch of his material from Louis C K (my absolute favorite comedian)....it's really weird though, because they are both so different. If you love vulgarity, Louis C K is the man...he does it really simply though. Ever seen him?

Schopenhauer was a miserable bastard though, wasn't he?

I've never seen that guy louis ck, but I'll check him out. I heard carlos mencia got gripped up by another comedian for stealing some jokes, too. I also heard carlos' real name is Ned. That's probably the only funny thing about him.

Yeah, schopenhauer was really fucking miserable, but nevertheless a comedic jackpot. In my opinion (and correctly so!) he really presented nothing of value to the philosophical world. I've read a little of his work, but, quite honestly, the only reason I picked any of it up was because I loved paging through to read paragraphs dedicated to denouncing hegel.

He pushed a maid down a flight of stairs once. That's kind of funny. Another time he was the only entrant in an annual danish essay contest, but nevertheless, he lost.

Yeah, schopenhauer was really fucking miserable, but nevertheless a comedic jackpot. In my opinion (and correctly so!) he really presented nothing of value to the philosophical world. I've read a little of his work, but, quite honestly, the only reason I picked any of it up was because I loved paging through to read paragraphs dedicated to denouncing hegel.

Yeah, Hegel is a bit much. All the consciousness levels are enough to drive you crazy. I don't hate him, but I do think his philosophy has a lot of holes in it. He did make some contributions to phenomenological tought, but ended up screwing it up as he kept writing...that's my humble opinion.

Foucault & Merelau Ponty have been two of my favorites. I, of course, like Heidegger to...most of his thoughts anyway....

Yeah, Hegel is a bit much. All the consciousness levels are enough to drive you crazy. I don't hate him, but I do think his philosophy has a lot of holes in it. He did make some contributions to phenomenological tought, but ended up screwing it up as he kept writing...that's my humble opinion.

Foucault & Merelau Ponty have been two of my favorites. I, of course, like Heidegger to...most of his thoughts anyway....

oh, i didn't actually mean that i personally dislike hegel. I think hegel is the man, I think dialectics, and later, marx/engels' materialism, are key to understanding the structure of the world and history. I've never really read any merelau-ponty, but i intend to sometime. I was a huge fan of sartre for a long time, and have read a fair amount from him, though. Did you study philosophy in college?

oh, i didn't actually mean that i personally dislike hegel. I think hegel is the man, I think dialectics, and later, marx/engels' materialism, are key to understanding the structure of the world and history. I've never really read any merelau-ponty, but i intend to sometime. I was a huge fan of sartre for a long time, and have read a fair amount from him, though. Did you study philosophy in college?

humor and sarcasm sometimes get lost on me in written form. Got what you were saying now.

Sartre...there's another grim mind.

I studied existential phenomenological psychology for over 5 years, so essentially, yes, I studied philosophy in college. That was the bulk of it. I got pretty fluent in Heidegger...he's the man at Duquesne University!

• 2 weeks later...
Welcome! And please consider moving to Portland soon. I'll feed you whatever you want to gain 10 pounds (vegan of course). I miss east coast sarcasm/wit/humour/frankness/cynicism that much. I'm from Philly originally so I have to bite my tongue often, which makes me kind of quiet, which I've never been in my life.

I'm getting closer, day by day. I think I'm near 175 lbs now. I'm getting raw and going to the gym a lot, so if I don't hit 180 by next month I'll probably just eat a bag of nickels. I ordered and ate a veggie burger hoagie, and it's about 3 am, so that should help.

A friend of mine was out there for a while, in oregon, at least. I hear the vegan food is pretty good. I wouldn't mind checking it out sometime. Philly's veg scene is pretty formidable itself.

But yes, you're right. Whenever I step out of the immediate area, no one can handle jokes. You throw in a typical "hey, hand me the remote, or I'll kill you" and then no one wants to be your friend anymore.

I had to revive this. I've never been off of the East Coast, but it's good to know ahead of time before I go to Oregon this summer that my incredibly sarcastic stinging sense of humor isn't welcome everywhere else in the universe.

But it will be welcome with me!!! It's very strange being away from the east coast - I find myself really missing some of the typical "east coast" interactions while I don't miss others at all.

I had to revive this. I've never been off of the East Coast, but it's good to know ahead of time before I go to Oregon this summer that my incredibly sarcastic stinging sense of humor isn't welcome everywhere else in the universe.

Please do be gentle with us left coasters. Once we get started crying, it can take hours for us to stop.