Here I am!

Introduce yourself. Tell us about your training history, how long you've been vegan, share some of your goals and some of your interests.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Michelle
Elephant

Here I am!

#1 Postby Michelle » Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:54 pm

Hi! I'm not vegan and not a bodybuilder. In fact, I'm not even vegetarian - yet.

But, that's the direction I'm headed in my health and fitness journey, and this seems like a really supportive bunch of people, so that's why I'm here. (Thanks to a couple of very cool guys who recruited me from myspace!)

I've attempted several times to become vegetarian or vegan, but it's so difficult to do when everyone around me is not. Especially since I've moved to TX, where the general mindset is far from vegan. My best attempts were when I was just coming off of a fast (I've done the Master Cleanser for 10 to 14 days a few times now) but after a few weeks, it gets difficult. A little more education, and I think I'll be ready to try again.

About 10 years ago, I was very much into weightlifting. I was at the gym two hours a day, five days a week. I weighed about 115, and felt the best I'd felt in my life. My best ever bench press was about 90 lbs and my best ever on the leg press machine was 430.

A few years in a sedentary job turned into a few more years in a mostly sedentary lifestyle, then some metabolism issues (thyroid, hypoglycemia, etc) add a bunch of stress to that, and... well, lets just say it might be a long road to get back to where I was at. :) I've gained 55 lbs and definitely lost most of that strength. I want my body & health back!

Tomorrow, I'll be back in the gym, easing back into it. Wish me luck!

Richard
Site Admin

#2 Postby Richard » Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:56 pm

Good luck man, I hope you get into vegetarianism and veganism 8)

V VII Hero
Gorilla

#3 Postby V VII Hero » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:12 pm

hey michelle, great to see that you joined 8)

I look foward to your posts.

take care,
Kristopher

Daywalker
Elephant

Re: Here I am!

#4 Postby Daywalker » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:17 pm

Welcome Michelle! :)

Michelle wrote:Especially since I've moved to TX, where the general mindset is far from vegan.

My best online-friend/pen-pal is from Houston, TX! She's an awesome person, vegan, and environmental activist! No matter where you are, you can always find cool, likw-minded people 8)

Have a great workout tomorrow,
Daywalker
No one said it would be easy.

xclaws
Rabbit

#5 Postby xclaws » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:31 pm

welcome to this awesome forum, here we share our experiences and advices. ask all you want.
My Time is my Life,My Time is NOW

veganmadre
Elephant

#6 Postby veganmadre » Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:09 pm

Hi! Welcome to the board! I have a similar history in terms of fitness and then incredible issues that caused me to gain over 70 lbs. I recently lost about 60 lbs and am starting all over again in terms of building strength! It's wonderful to meet you! :D
Making Prudish Americans Uncomfortable - one photo at a time.

Pete
Rabbit

#7 Postby Pete » Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:20 pm

Have a fab day in the gym. Remember to take things slow, you're a newbie again. Even if you lift a lot less you'll still grow a lot as your body has "forgotten" it's done weights before, so don't worry about how much you used to lift, this will be day 1 of a whole new adventure!
Welcome to the group :D

robert
Site Admin

#8 Postby robert » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:51 pm

Hey Michelle,

Welcome to our group!

Great to see that you are here. I remember you from Myspace.

I think you'll have a great time, make some cool new friends and learn tons about veganism and fitness here.

Have a great day!

-Robert

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

CollegeB
Elephant

#9 Postby CollegeB » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:29 pm

This forum is one of the best resources for going vegan and then getting the support you need to stay vegan. These guys also know a thing or two about fitness and bodybuilding :wink:

lelle
Elephant

#10 Postby lelle » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:26 am

welcome Michelle!

Michelle
Elephant

#11 Postby Michelle » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:21 pm

Thanks, everyone, for the welcome and encouragement.

When I hit the gym yesterday, I found out that I have indeed lost lots and lots of strength, but not quite as much as I thought. Maybe all those massages I've been giving have built a tiny bit of muscle?

Even better news, I'm not the only person in my family who's decided to try vegan. Guess I'll have some support at home this time around. :)

veganmadre
Elephant

#12 Postby veganmadre » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:23 pm

That's fantastic that you'll have family support!! You totally have my support as well if you ever need it! :D

compassionategirl
Stegosaurus

#13 Postby compassionategirl » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:41 pm

Michelle wrote:

Even better news, I'm not the only person in my family who's decided to try vegan. Guess I'll have some support at home this time around. :)

Congratulations to both of you for giving this more compassionate and merciful lifetsyle a try, and please come here for support if and when you need it.

CollegeB: NICE PIPES, MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brendan
Rabbit

#14 Postby brendan » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:46 pm

Awesome job with the profound influence you've already had. Welcome aboard!

Corey
Rabbit

#15 Postby Corey » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:11 pm

Welcome, Michelle! And good luck! Sounds like you're already off to a wonderful start.

Return to “Introductions”